Ditch the springer fork for off-roading?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, thinking about doing a little mountain biking with my military cruiser http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44449

Do you guys think I should replace the springer with a solid front fork? I'm thinking that with my weight (280lbs) and some rough terrain that springer might get bent or break. Thoughts?

I'd say stick an mtb/bmx type fork on it if you're going to ride anything tougher than some tree roots running through the front lawn. I'm only 185, and it wouldn't surprise me if it got bent at the pivot trying to muscle across a tough spot. It's too soft and imprecise for the job anyway, even if it were bullet proof. :|

I'd say that would be a reasonable idea. Mountain bikes have straight forks so that they don't have any flex when impacted straight on from underneath. With the springer, you have give in both the spring as well as in the curve of your fork.

Just my thoughts! Obviously you were thinking them too though :lol:

with a solid fork theres really only one spot id be worried about breaking, on the springer fork theres about 8 spots i'd be worried about breaking ... that being said ive seen the local kids bomb down a 30 step staircase in front of a church on a regular basis for years and nobody's got hurt that i know of, but they've gotta be 50 lbs soaking wet too :lol:

One other point. Whether pumping hard to keep up momentum, or just hanging for dear life in near free-fall, really off-roading as a grown man on a coaster bike means riding hard, pretty much at the edge of mechanical failure with a steel wheel and modern hub.
A front brake is advisable, and necessary for maximum capabilities. A rim brake won't stay in adjustment as that fork moves, and even with a disc or drum it's pushing an un-damped suspension in the wrong direction . :|

was thinking about swapping the original fork back on (the bike is a huffy cranbrook), that should at least be more stable than a springer.

would probably also add a front brake before undertaking any mountain biking (do keep in mind I am in Louisiana, so it's really just trail riding, there are no mountains or even big hills)

I think the original fork should be better than the springer, they are pretty good sized tube, BUT, at your weight on essentially a teen's bike???. The last thing you want is a faceplant from a collapsed wheel or fork, so digging up a BMX kind of fork would probably be a decent upgrade and might have the good V brakes too.

just plan on hitting some semi-rough trails, no crazy jumps or anything like that. I'm too heavy and in too bad of shape to be too rough, lol.

definitely think i should swap on some off-road tires first though, our trails are not steep, rocky, or anything like that, but they get quite muddy.

I think you should just trade me for this bike.. and call it a day .. it will ride anyplace
car165.jpg

Glad to hear you say you're planning a brake, something I had never thought of till someone here mentioned it, on a coaster brake bike if the chain brakes or comes off, you got NO brakes except your feet, and I'm not a fan of foot braking in emergencies or casually.

Back