disk brake done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finally got my disk brakes on. It took a little bit to get the adjustment set up just right but she's done and rides great.

craigslist024.jpg

craigslist008.jpg

craigslist004.jpg

craigslist006.jpg

The caliper is held in place by pressure, the fork clamps down on it. I bought the kit from chain gang lowrider because it came with a billet aluminum bracket. The set up works great but I am not very impressed with the caliper. If I could do it again I would just buy the bracket and get the avid bb5 caliper. It dose stop well and so far I am happy with it.

In your third picture it looks like its rotated around the axle compared to the first. Is bracket hitting the fork tube what keeps it from rotating more? Does anything suprising happen if you hold the front brake and roll the bike backward?

Ok so here is how it works. The caliper bracket is in a different spot from the 1st and third pic. I took the pictures while still setting it up. The axle nut hold it on surprisingly well and it will not move. If it where to move the motion would be forward so the bracket would naturally be stopped by the fork. Thought with all of the test rids I have done it have never seemed to move. With the front brake on the wheel will not move backwards at all, it I drag the wheel it still dose not move. I guess if I was moving at a good rate backwards and suddenly stopped there is a possibility of it moving. However since this is not a fixie I don't think that is a concern I will ever have. The hub I bought from cycles us and the rims are off an 80"s era mountain bike. I had question about it reliability before I installed it but now I have full confidence. For what I under stand this is a common conversion for people with motorized bicycles.

If anyone wants to do a disc brake set up with a freewheel hub got to Lovelylowrider.com they sell a disc brake set that you could attach to a freewheel hub, the kit comes with the disc, and the part that screws onto the hub that also holds the disc in place.. but i think i might buy that bracket and then do this whole set-up...

Back