Dirty muscle!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Name may change in the future, but mostly a spin on the fact I drove my wife’s mini van down 11 miles of dirt and gravel roads to pick up the bike lot this was in. This was one of the two frames in the photos I wanted!
IMG_2364.jpeg
The full glory of what I unloaded at home.
IMG_2407.jpeg
How it currently sits waiting. It’s grungy, the white repaint is crap and I’m not sure if I want to paint it or leave it crusty because I like crusty muscle cars.

Being this isn’t a factory muscle bike mods feel free to move it to c2 if needed!

Decided I’d give it a nice scrub with a green pad to see what the paint was like under the dirt. Quickly led to sandpaper and a wire wheel
IMG_2504.jpeg
ignore the junk in the back, if the guy doesn’t show up for it this weekend it’s the scrap from the bike load.
IMG_2503.jpeg
Straightened out the dropouts a bit with the mini vice
IMG_2510.jpeg
IMG_2511.jpeg
paint was much worse than expected. Not the cool patina I love. So now it pretty much has to be painted.
IMG_2505.jpeg
The last paint job was done over a bunch of stickers so the fork got to meet the flappy disc.
IMG_2506.jpeg

All the time I had today. Sadly the white scwhinn is supposed to be sold so no patina muscle for me

Hit it with some leftover primers, in some ways it’s better than I expected. Still plenty of sanding but I need to buy some primer. I’m out of leftovers.
IMG_2523.jpeg
IMG_2524.jpeg
24 hours laying outside in this heat did dry and harden it up well. Still undecided on color but did decide it can’t be super shiny, I’m using old parts on it so it needs some patina.

Another day of boring updates!
IMG_2573.jpeg
Found one of the rear wheels I wanted as a possibility
IMG_2576.jpeg
not the worst I’ve ever torn apart
IMG_2577.jpeg
IMG_2578.jpeg
while wire brushing the inside I did find out it was a painted wheel originally. It’s chrome and flaky underneath
IMG_2580.jpeg
was headed out to the garage to adjust the bend in this sissy bar.
IMG_2582.jpeg
Remembered this tiny stingray seat came in the last purchase of bikes I made. So trying this sissy bar before I ruin the other
IMG_2579.jpeg
I really love the patina on this white scwhinn frame, it would have been my build frame but it’s supposed to be headed to a scwhinn guy.

IMG_2651.jpeg
I have been working on it a bit here and there. Mostly been selling bikes to get space back😂 I’m not 100% sure on the paint so it’s hidden.
IMG_2652.jpeg
IMG_2655.jpeg
IMG_2656.jpeg
Sissy bar is a bit twisted and I’m not sure this style will hold me 😂 but I’m going to try and straighten it out. The current back tire is part of the dirty muscle theme but may disappear
IMG_2654.jpeg
IMG_2658.jpeg
IMG_2659.jpeg
sold the bars I was going to use so these came out of the pile. Parts of them cleaned up real well and others the chrome is gone.
IMG_2653.jpeg
This wheel cleaned up pretty well

In a shocking turn of events I didn’t wrestle with old rusty chain or buy a colored one.
IMG_2692.jpeg
IMG_2693.jpeg

I was planning the red, but in the middle of wet sanding for the 5th time I decided I like it this way.
IMG_2695.jpeg
IMG_2696.jpeg

Need to get it in the light and do some test riding. See if I like the back tire set up. Also need to do something with the sissy bar hardware, the blue doesn’t hide well

IMG_2729.jpeg
IMG_2730.jpeg

Cruises down the road pretty well. Certainly needs some adjustment and I’m not 100% on the rear tire but ride ended after about 3 miles because some idiot didn’t true the rear wheel or tighten the cone nuts 😂
IMG_2731.jpeg
complementary wagon photo!
IMG_2732.jpeg

This sissy bar makes getting the rear wheel on and off a pain in the ...!

Attachments

• IMG_2733.jpeg
    IMG_2733.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Had to take some time to clean up my work area, and storage. It was a mess. Then this was magically dropped off at my house. Maybe dirty muscle needs a 3 speed. I’ve never played with an internally geared hub but this seems to good to not atleast try it.
IMG_2787.jpeg

The weather is terrible, my spine hurts and the wife just tested positive for Covid. So a bit of basement bike time
IMG_2852.jpeg

Hopefully find a better shifter solution but it’s all mounted and functions. Hopefully get a test ride this week at some point!
IMG_2853.jpeg
Had to chop the sissy bar to clear the shifter mechanism. Hopefully the tube holds air this time so I don’t have to take it all apart 😂 less then a month til the next back surgery, goal is to have this done.

Looks like a better angle for the seat.

Sorry to hear you're in pain. Seems to be hitting us all this year. I hope your wife recovers quickly.

It was a balmy 46F and raining yesterday so I decided to go for a ride and get some photos. Back surgery is a week away and I might not be back to able to ride before the end! Just a quick teaser, bike rides fantastic but the skinny tires were a bit sketchy on the off-road stuff 😂
IMG_2981.jpeg

Back