Different styles of setback seatposts?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a layback seatpost like this:
black-ops-seatpost-65mm-layback-25-4mm-clamp-no-support-crmo_3016665.jpg

and the extra room it gave me in the cockpit felt great! Like riding a "pedal forward" style bike, it puts less strain on my knees. Unfortunately, the minimum height of this style seatpost is too tall for my preference, so I went back to the straight seatpost that came with my bike.

Since the guts on my saddle are kind of bent (from overtightening cheap steel...) I need to replace the guts anyways, so I started to consider one of these modern seatposts with the integrated microadjust clamp:
00.6815.058.090_1.jpg

Has anyone used this style of seatpost with a regular beach cruiser saddle? I've seen some builds on here where people use them with brooks saddles, but I'm not sure if the rail spacing is different?

The other problem i'm having is finding one that's a 25.4mm post with a decent amount of setback. I think i saw one that has a 3/4" setback, but I'm looking for something more like 2" (or at least 40mm)

Something like this would be great:
c0015099_23401372.jpg

but I can't find it in 25.4mm. I know I could go with a smaller post (like 22.2) and shim it, but most of them are like 27mm or bigger, and I would prefer not to use a shim anyways...

Can someone recommend a 25.4mm seatpost with a microadjust clamp that has at least 1 inch of setback, preferably in chrome (or polished aluminum) ?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

~Jon

You can make one. If you don't weld have a certified welder fab it up. You could grind/file the pieces to fit and then you would just have to pay for the welding. Probably cost about the same as a quality seat post (at least $40 for labor) but you could get exactly what you want if you can't find it on the net. Here is one I made that still needs a certified welder to finish my crummy welds. The short piece is from a throw away 16 inch kids bike as the entire short seat post section is the same size as the part that is usually necked sown for the seatpost clamp (28.6mm).

Last edited:
That's pretty cool that you made that seatpost. Did you add that cap on the top tube? It's a nice touch.

Does anyone have any other input about seatposts with microadjust clamps?

Sorry maybe I just dont get it.
I have some old seats like this...
$_57.JPG

and a few newer ones like this...

iu

So will this post work with these seats?
1383849001083-1460105750.jpeg

It will work with ones like the bottom ones, with a single set of round rails. The top picture shows a saddle with rectangle rails, and that will only work with a pipe-type post with the original-style rectangle seatguts. But, yeah, what you got pictured at bottom, you can just remove the guts and clamp it right into that post. Basically, a microadjust will work with saddles like the one from your lower picture, which is the vast majority of modern saddles. It won't work with multiple rails (like some sprung models), rectangle rails (like many older seats, even late model Worksman), or pivotal (bmx) saddles. But if it's got 2 round/tubular rails and it was made in like the past 30 years, it'll fit.

Back