Did you ride your bike to school?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temple Terrace Elementary, Tampa, Fl 1959. No chains or locks.šŸ˜
img_1_1702466956492.jpg

I didn't ride to school. My mom was worried about traffic. Some of my friends rode to school. Today's bike racks around here are usually empty.

I rode to school still ride to work loved in rual area so we use to be able to get into all kinds of trouble. My son use to bike to school but I got a call from the school because he was jumping off everything.

You know, as much as I rode my bike as a kid/teen the thought of riding to school never once occurred to me. I was only about 2 miles from school, too.

Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing many bikes out front, either. Most kids took a bus or got dropped off by mom or dad. Some walked. Different times I suppose.

I lived too close to the school and had to walk/bike. I would usually walk as an excuse to be a few minutes late. I had a Columbia tandem with a 6 or 8 point buck rack I can't exactly remember mounted to the front of it. I felt like I was Boss Hog from Dukes of Hazzard. I rode that bike by myself everywhere. It would do the most incredible skid stops with it. It was so long and heavy once you broke it loose it would almost come all the way around if I was going fast enough. My jack hole buddy who always broke his bike was a frequent passenger and he was a freak of nature so he did the majority of peddling.

Grew up in farm country Wisconsin so it would have been at least a 45-60 minute ride on my bicycle. Luckily we knew all the farmers between my parents game farm and school which was on the very edge of town. We rode our dirt bikes. Started in middle school on an old 3.5 hp Rupp and eventually had a Kawasaki KE100 then KE175 up until high school

We were cool and dirtbags all at the same time

Grew up in farm country Wisconsin so it would have been at least a 45-60 minute ride on my bicycle. Luckily we knew all the farmers between my parents game farm and school which was on the very edge of town. We rode our dirt bikes. Started in middle school on an old 3.5 hp Rupp and eventually had a Kawasaki KE100 then KE175 up until high school

Dirt bikes were a way of life for us everything was so far a part had a Honda 50, then a JAWA, later on we converted a snow cruiser snowmobile into a 4 wheeler which we thought was awesome
s-l300.jpg

One of these but with 4 wheels we only never considered these were air cooled thing over heated all the time but we didn't care it was bad...

Oh man! Iā€™ve got a KE100 that I was customizing. I really like the way that those handle.

And to answer the title question: I did sometimesā€¦

Man, those things were all over the place when we were kids! The neighbors had one, Ms Dice had one too. They were indestructible funView attachment 254156
I had a Honda similar to one of these, a CF70, when I was an apprentice. If you pulled away hard in first gear you would find yourself standing on the ground with the bike standing up on its rear fender in front of you.

If you pulled away hard in first gear you would find yourself standing on the ground with the bike standing up on its rear fender in front of you.
Not just a problem with the little bikes....
download (4).jpeg
download (5).jpeg

...and that's the safer way to crash em! Those trikes were deadly, it's good they went away

We were warned by our high school principal that if we ever rode our dirt bikes to school again we would be kicked out, might have had something to do with lunchtime wheelies, jumping the pitcher's mound and staying after school to scrub donuts off the auto shop floor... I did win a bet with my shop teacher that my Bultaco would run backwards though

Latest posts

Back