Did i get a good deal?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I paid $25 for this schwinn a while back(complete), and i traded this guy in town the frame/fork/fenders/ONE wheel and $30 for this:
camera-gate506.jpg

Good-
Dogleg cranks
Skiptooth parts
Morrow hub out back
oversized spokes
cool looking hub up front
Made in detroit
big brass badge

Bad-
One hole in the frame
the fender holder bridge thing is falling apart and welded on
The frame was brush painted...the guys an idiot
and problems with the morrow hub...Posting a video soon

I got a good deal on this bike right?
camera-gate507.jpg

camera-gate508.jpg

camera-gate509.jpg

i would have done it but because it came from the "D"

i feel it was worth it!! nice score...

Well worth it if you ask me, I bet 37FLEETWOOD knows a lot about this frame.

Upper Class White Trash said:
i would have done it but because it came from the "D"

i feel it was worth it!! nice score...
That was a bonus to me...
My dad works up there, wonder if he would know of the old factory or something
necessaryevil said:
Well worth it if you ask me, I bet 37FLEETWOOD knows a lot about this frame.
Ill talk to him

Thanks so far guys

Morrow hubs are pretty straight forward to work on. I have some diagrams and a few parts if you run into trouble.

I'd say you got a very good deal. Not that many prewar bikes around any more. Now you need to find a rear stand for it.

Dingo, when I work in the bike shop 20 years ago Farber cycle was a major parts supplier along with Detroit cycle. I remember the parts delivery guy weighed about 400+ pounds and it was all he could do just to walk into the store. We always had to unload the truck for him. I think they went out of business about the same time I left the shop for the wonderful automotive business. Around 1989 I think.

Crassly said:
Morrow hubs are pretty straight forward to work on. I have some diagrams and a few parts if you run into trouble.

I'd say you got a very good deal. Not that many prewar bikes around any more. Now you need to find a rear stand for it.
Thanks Crassly..
You wouldnt happen to have a stand would you?
lol

I'd say it's a darn good deal. Below average wear and some sweet and rare vintage parts. I never knew they made dog leg cranks, and the stamped brass head badge is cool.

One thing though, do you think the crankset is original? Skiptooths seem to indicate pre-war status but Supersonic jets weren't really popular for another ten years or so.

Ironically, I just bought a bike today with the same chain guard. It was made in '62. The seller had a frame which looked identical to yours but I don't know if it's actually a Faber or if it was a similar looking Rollfast or Shelby. If the hole in your frame gives you trouble, send me a pm and I can check back and see what price he wants for it. I'd guess it was a medium 26" frame.

deadmeat001il7.jpg

those look like replacement/after market chainguards.

Yep, I think my frame was hand made by a local bike store in town. It's hard to tell because the Cleveland Welding Company pimped out so many bikes during the balloon tire era, they made bikes for a lot of companies. This particular bike looks similar to the Roadmaster Flying Falcon from a decade earlier (which CWC manufactured), I'm thinking the local talent just copied it themselves and bolted on parts to complete the deal.

That Pashley Tube Rider of yours is pretty nice too. Beautiful lines and a neat history behind it.

no matter what it is, yes, ya got a darn good deal. nice score. that will be a real charmer when ya get it done. wow

Outlaw :mrgreen:

25 bucks for a complete bike will always be a good deal. A great base to build anything that you want.

Back