Diamond in the Rough- Polished Gem Almost done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Diamond in the Rough- '32 Rollfast Ballooner

Its coming a long very nice. Good luck doing the backward stencils. I know that's not going to be easy. I applied my frame stencils today. you can see them on the x-114 link on my signature.

Im curious how this frame compares in size to the typical Raleigh Sports light roadster? They go about 21" for the seatube and toptube length.

I forgot to mention that I found these on my door step Tuesday.

IMAG0683.jpg

IMAG0684.jpg

gcrank1 said:
Im curious how this frame compares in size to the typical Raleigh Sports light roadster? They go about 21" for the seatube and toptube length.

I just measured and the seat tube and top tube are both 22".

I was hoping to get the call that the rest of my parts were done today, but it looks like it will be Monday. :(

Thanx for that! Your neat old ad copy and project got me thinking that this bike of yours is way cool.....Im not likely to run across one, but have an old Nottingham Triumph (mfg Raleigh) that would maybe make a tolerable fat tire Brit version :D .

gcrank1 said:
Thanx for that! Your neat old ad copy and project got me thinking that this bike of yours is way cool.....Im not likely to run across one, but have an old Nottingham Triumph (mfg Raleigh) that would maybe make a tolerable fat tire Brit version :D .

Will that frame handle fat tires? My '37 BSA won't take anything over 26x1.95.

'Fat' is relative in my case, for sure. I think 1.75 on the rear and 1.5 on the front is about it, and I will have to use different rims, as those Brit 26s are not the same as for clincher tires. On the skinny tube frame it will look bigger, and ride a bit softer. One of mine is a Sturmey Archer SC single speed coaster brake already so I know I like that. Yours looks to be the best of both worlds (read: Im envious.... :wink: )

I picked up my stencils this morning and instead of going to bed I headed down to the basement to make some progress on the bike. I had planned on showing how I did the darts, but when I told the gal at the decal shop the color didn't matter I didn't know she would choose the exact same shade of blue as the frame. That made the decals all but invisible to the makes eye, much less than photogenic. So here are some pics of the frame and forks with the darts done.

Seat tube
IMAG0704.jpg

Head, top tube and down tube
IMAG0705.jpg

IMAG0706.jpg

Down tube
IMAG0707.jpg

Forks
IMAG0708.jpg

IMAG0709.jpg

During the move I lost one of the original head set bearings and I thought I lost the crown race as well, but after some digging it turned up. I found a substitute bearing in the bearing bin and is currently soaking with the rest of the bearings.

While I have most of the parts I am still waiting on the rims, rack, and bars to get coated. My coater had the bars done, but his help didn't out-gas them before coating which caused tiny bubbles to form when they baked them. :roll:

Once I get every thing back I will be able to get the measurements for my spokes.

Lookin good there. I'm going to have to get some of stenciles made up for my CWC Roadmaster project.

Re: Diamond in the Rough- '34 Rollfast Ballooner

I spent a large part of the evening in my Happy Place putting more of the bike together. I got the bearings cleaned and greased, forks and crank mounted, Head badge riveted on and truss rods fit. I hope I get the rest of my stuff soon!

IMAG0710.jpg

IMAG0714.jpg

IMAG0715.jpg

The bike will be vintage parts with the exception of this Campy hub, white tires and Brooks saddle

IMAG0711.jpg

IMAG0713.jpg

IMAG0716.jpg

IMAG0650.jpg

Re: Diamond in the Rough- '34 Rollfast Ballooner

Nice job on the stencils. Did you see how mine came out on my x-114 build?

Back