Designing a Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most bikes here are pre-existing I know but there seems to be a growing number of one -off bike builds happening or at least a growing interest in doing so. My question to those that have done a design/build project is this, how do you design the bike? Here's what I am thinking. I have a architectural design and drafting background as well as being somewhat of an artist. All that to say that I tend to see things in my head and plan everything out in my head, even the details but the problem lies in that I have no experience in designing a bike and building one so...I have come up with an idea but want to bounce this off of you. There has to be something like this out there already....a designing jig. A jig that has a cheap seat on it that is adjustable in height and angle. Sliding wheel locks (to adjust the wheelbase, especially in the toe clearance between your expected toe placement-due to the placement of the BB-and the wheel) and drop-out height (although, these are pretty much set by the size wheel you plan to use) ....adjustable BB and adjustable head tube height and angle with cheap bars of some sort. Follow what I am describing here? Seems to me that once you have these key points (Y values for the head tube, BB and seat) then pretty much everything else is up in the air design wise. Do any of you have something like this?

I have sketched out a very rough design for this jig, unfortunately, my scanner is not working. I'll post it as soon as I can.

i've seen pictures of jigs of varying degrees of complexity. Galtbacken and Unchained are members who come to mind who have recently built from scratch; you might want to look at threads from their builds for photos of jigs.

i am certainly no expert, but things like wheelbase, fork rake, the angle and length of the steering tube... et cetera are gonna affect the the handling and the ride of the bike. you may need to consider all of that.

Back