Derailleur on BMX-type Dropouts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best is to weld a derailleur hanger on. Other than that it may depend on what derailleur you want to use. The older pre-indexing derailleurs were available with a bolt on hanger. These would work in most cases. Some cheaper indexing ones may have hangers available, not sure anymore. A bigger issue maybe the rear end width. Most BMX bikes were built for singles at 110mm, Derailleur bikes are spaced at 120mm-126mm-130mm-135mm depending on the hub and number of gears.

Thanks! This is actually going on a Skull Skates 26" cruiser. The dropouts are far enough apart for the rear hub.

Anyone have any pics of a derailleur hanger welded to a frame?

Nice product. Industry standard for derailleur bolts is 10mm X 1

I'd thought I would share the simple way, NEXT BMX 5 Speed.
S5002978.jpg

Robertk said:
Cool product LT, but the 1 customer review says the bolt sizes were incorrect. Do you have any expereince with it?

I've never used it... just knew it existed

Thanks LT.

I emailed Alan Bonds and this was his response based on prewar Schwinns with horizontal dropouts -

"I use the suntour kind that hook on the rear axle. I saw it off on a line with the rear frame (dropout) and have it welded on by one guy or another who welds. check the rear wheel to be used in the dropouts first to make sure of the rear axles position, set the pins there, then position the hanger in the correct spot to get the line right and then saw it in half - have it welded on.
ab"

Latest posts

Back