Delta horn units . . Help !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Anyone out there who rebuilds horn units (the ones that fit inside a tank)? I have several nice prewar Delta big button horn units, and I can not make them work. I know the horn portion works (tested 'em), but I can not get the button to work. Is there anyone that has experience rebuilding the buttons?
Thanks, Pete

Soak them in Automatic Transission Fluid or PB Blaster for about a week...

Then GENTLY try to turn the screw on the back of them.

They are only metal inside.

As a LAST Resort...Electrolysis will/should blast them loose!

Disregard that ^...I just re-read your post about the switch.

They are about as simple as a flaslight to fix

I've pried the little tabs up before. Should be able to get away with just lifting two of the three with a small screwdriver. Sand clean the contacts inside, sand both ends of the wire as well if it's the style with the pinch wire clip. Basically clean every link in the chain and it stands to reason that it should work :lol:

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just borrow it for a second, lol. Does anyone have photos of the inside of a original functioning schwinn horn tank? I have a repop schwinn horn tank(phantom style) I bought new about 14 years ago but im not sure if you can hook a horn to it or if it's just for looks.

Back