Dela where?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's usually what I hear when people ask me where I'm from. :roll: I have been customizing my bikes since I was 11 years old right after my spankin' new Sears Spyder in charcoal gray was stolen off of my porch. It was a hard lesson, but it started me on a path that I never could have dreamed. I now build custom electric bikes and trikes. I own 3 electric trikes: The Hot Rod, The Tow Trike and the OCC trike. I have overhauled EV Global ebikes and I have two, one that I ride and one that needs more love than I can give it right now. I also have 3 other trikes, OCC choppers, a Spoiler and really too many bikes. I have been thinning the herd lately to gain some room for new projects. One of those is going to be my first rat rod. I actually started the project last year after finding this site. The inspiration i got from last years build off sent me spinning towards the internet for something cheap that I could transform into something unique. I found a $20 Cruzan Rum promo bike that has a tank-like frame. Mock-up began, bike was torn down, frame partially stripped and then smoothed. It now hangs in primer in my basement shop and needs some detail work before paint. I would like to enter it in this years build-off but since I started it in November.... :| Anyway, I finally replaced the Spyder with the bike I had actually asked for my birthday 35 years ago. Well, the reproduction anyway. I saw it at the bike shop where my brother works and I knew it was fate. The Grey Ghost missing from my childhood was right in front of me so on layaway it went. A year later it was paid off and the first custom touch was done in the form of a dual brake lever that operates both sturmey drum brakes. I found my Spoiler on the internet and promptly changed the bars to a flat drag style. Other then that it is bone stock. I love building, customizing and riding my bikes and seeing all of the unrestrained creativity on this site. I haven't seen a bike on here that I don't like. :mrgreen:

36255_481835492126_276498127126_6261085_7350326_n.jpg

My re-pop Ghost

35297_412289067126_276498127126_4988548_2809615_n.jpg

The OCC Trike. 500 watt 24 volt motor, custom mounted trike housing and custom cross-laced wheels. It now has a bigger trunk which needs to be painted and lights installed.

35245_412289357126_276498127126_4988559_1739949_n.jpg

The Hot Rod Trike. 600 watt 36 volt brushless hub motor on a trick worksman frame.

37624_412290717126_276498127126_4988591_1847769_n.jpg

The Tow Trike. custom mounted Currie Electro-Drive, 600 watt 24 volt brushless, geared motor.

Thanks! I'll post some build pics of it once I get a little more comfortable with your awesome site. :D and thanks for creating such a great place for like minded people to share :mrgreen:

Thanks Jen! Your entry last year was one that I followed. I loved the custom fabbed discs and your artistic skills are to be envied :!:

Thanks everyone! I hope to start posting some pics of past builds soon. I have some of the Hot Rod Trike and more of the OCC Trike. My first rat rod will begin soon but I really think it needs a name first. It was a Cruzan Rum promo cruiser so I'm thinking Rum Rat or Rat Cruzer or something along those lines. I have some parts together for it such as a Bendix kick back hub with coaster, a repro springer seat, aluminum low rise bars, an old speedo and the front fender which I already chopped into a front and rear. I'm still deciding on using the original rigid MTB style fork or using some sort of custom suspension fork on it. Alot to do before then though(like browsing through all of the mind boggling rides on this site)....

I totally forgot to mention the Rat Trike my son and I purchased and fixed up last year after following the Build Off. Here's a link to the vid I took after welding up the broken forks. Unfortunately, a few rides after this vid, the cool mini banana seat finally let go at the sissy bar due to rust issues. Since it is a true rat machine, I feel obligated to repair and improve the 'original' seat instead of replacing it. Well, unless something better pops up for free or extremely cheap.
http://youtu.be/NfLJrLL-oxM :)

Back