Degreasing Parts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I let this bb sit in a Dawn and Simple Green mixture for a couple days and BAM super clean! No elbow grease required, I couldn't take a before shot because the parts were so nasty and my hands were beyond gross.
usyvebuz.jpg

Nice never thought to use Dawn & Simple Green together good idea I'll give it a go.

I've found warm/hot Simple Green does a dang good job (left the huge jar with about an inch of it setting in the sun for a few hours before putting parts in and bam clean parts in a hurry.

Just be careful I found very fast to grab the parts with anything other than my bare fingers lol.

The Mean Green degreaser from the Dollar Store, and sold at other stores, works just as well if not better than Simple Green. It's much less expensive per ounce than Simple Green. We buy it in one gallon concentrate jugs but it's sold in smaller containers as well. I've been mixing it with Dawn for quite a while. Adding extra degreaser to Dawn does work very well. We use the same mixture to wash our vehicles.

Mean green is what I normally use but was given a gallon of simple green for free (thing has a $20 price tag on it)

$5 / gallon is about right iirc.
Used to get some stuff from the dollar store that was pink 1/2 gallon for $1 and did a decent job for the price; but they stopped selling it.

I make my own soap, so I'll stay out of that conversation, but I've found that mineral spirits are pretty good for clearing old grease/crud off of used chains and bearing retainers.

I do more car stuff than bike stuff and used to use this stuff and liked it, till they stopped selling it at the local auto parts stores
4NHH6_AS01.JPG

Now they have this instead and it seems to work pretty well too.. both are about $8 a gallon..
3ZLD2_AS01.JPG

Many years ago when I collected military surplus rifles mineral spirits is what I used to remove the thick greasy cosmoline they were stored in.

Haha its cool, I also do arts and crafts and tend to flower beds so I'm cool with Martha.

That rules. I don't post much on SMF, but i learn a lot. Had to figure out their lingo; DH= "Dear Hubby", and stuff like that. Tough to relate to that kinda thing, but the science/tech is all sound once you translate. I had to switch my own lingo up; I use PVC pipes as molds for soap bars, and when trying to explain it, some of the ladies weren't down with terms like "ID" for inner diameter, for example. But, if you ever make soap, I can definitely say that 2' long sections of 3" PVC is the best mold for the money....

Last edited:
I put parts in a glass jar, spray with brake cleaner, swish, let sit, swich, let sit, swich once more and they come out shining like new. Plus I can reuse the brake cleaner the next go around as long as I put the lid on.

Latest posts

Back