Day-Glo Huffy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so I know this isn't the usual fodder for this site, but I think it's going to be a pretty cool project anyway. I picked up an old Huffy Monoshock on Craigslist in pretty rough shape, it looks like it's been living outside for a while. The plan is to strip it down, paint it a gunmetal gray, and add some neon green and hot pink accents. I'm not sure if I can disassemble the shock for restoration, but I have heard rumors that a Honda CT70 minibike shock will fit. If anybody can confirm or deny this, please let me know. I already have it torn down; it looks like the bearings are still in good shape, but I had to cut the chain off the bike and the rims/hubs are toast. I just ordered a bunch of parts, including some 6-spoke mag rims. I tried to get some hot pink tires, but couldn't find 2 of them, so I think I'm going to try and paint the rims pink and run black tires. I'll post pics when I make some progress.
IMG_7825.jpg

IMG_7832.jpg

IMG_7830.jpg

IMG_7827.jpg

good call, I just ordered a set. They might not be bright enough for what I want, but they are cheap enough to try them out.

still waiting on parts. I've gotten my lime green pedals and a bmx-style quill stem, but still waiting on the new crank, rims, tires, chain, and grips. I also ordered a shock for a yerf-dog go kart that should fit. I might need to bend the front mounting plates out a hair to fit it, but it shouldn't be a problem. I was able to score some different handlebars too, the original ones looked pretty haggard. I started sandblasting them and there was some deep pitting, plus they were only brazed together. My buddy had some extra Primo bars, so I'm going to strip and paint them.

got a big box of parts yesterday, now I need to get some wire wheels and get to stripping the frame down. Also going to get a new bottom bracket bearing set and I might score a newer bmx fork and go threadless on the headset. Decided I'm not going to try to paint the wheels, there's too many nooks and crannies to get to and the surface finish on them isn't that great, and they would only look worse if I made them fluorescent (they're cheap Chinese Skyway Tuff knock-offs).
I also looked at the seat pan, it's rusted through. I'm either going to have to recreate the seat out of plywood, foam, and vinyl, or I was thinking of getting a layback seat post and a quilted vinyl bmx seat. Does anyone have any ideas on another seat that's similar to this one? I like the look of it, but this one is trashed.
More updates to come when I actually get some work done.

got most of the frame stripped down, including the fork. I just need to get one of my buddies with a sandblaster to get all the tight spots that I couldn't get with a wire wheel. I think I'm still leaning towards a newer bmx fork, as this one would need the dropouts enlarged to fit the new rims, plus it's kind of rusted and weak looking. I've decided on a color change too, going to try some metal flake orange. Duplicolor makes it in a rattle can, I'm going to try it out. So the color scheme should be orange with some lime green and black parts.

i had one of these way back. made it into a 5 speed. i didn't get the seat so i had a lay back post on it. made a great wheely bike.

nice! I don't think I have the coordination to pull off any wheelies though.
Progress pics:
IMG_7839.jpg

IMG_7838.jpg

My friend who has a sandblaster is going to finish stripping the paint in all the tight spots. The go-kart shock fits perfectly, so that worked out well. I got the paint, all I need now are a headset and bottom bracket and to figure out the seat situation and I'll be all set.

got my bearings ordered, I should get them this weekend. My buddy still has the frame though, so probably won't get anything done this weekend. I've been having problems getting my rear tire mounted though, I keep pinching the tube between the tire bead and the rim. Ruined 2 new tubes already :( I took the tire off to look at the rim, but I only have my own ineptitude to blame from the looks of it.

Philphine said:
i had one of these way back. made it into a 5 speed. i didn't get the seat so i had a lay back post on it. made a great wheely bike.

Didn't anybody tell you this bike isn't "designed for Stunting"?

yeah, it's got that big warning sticker and everything! I do put some air in the tubes before installing them; these plastic wheels have a really thick walls, so it's just kind of a pain. I got the front tire installed on the first try.

dats ok, i caint reed.

i had to go back and look at the pics. i don't even remember the bike having that sticker. not like it would have stopped me anyway.

it seems like it's been forever since I got anything done on the bike, but I finally got it painted. I think it came out pretty nice, I'm really happy with the color.
IMG_7909.jpg

IMG_7911.jpg

I still need to paint the handlebars; they're in primer now and I'm going to put some satin black on them. And I don't know if I want to leave the chainring chrome or paint it, the only other chrome on the bike is going to be the bearing cups, so I'm leaning towards paint. As for the seat, I think I'm just going to get a layback post and a pleated vinyl bmx seat, I've got a bunch of other non-bike projects going on, so I just want to finish this quickly and start enjoying it.

almost done! I just need to get some tubes and attempt to mount the tires again. Then I can set the chain length and start riding :D
here's a teaser pic:
IMG_7990.jpg

sweet little ride, got something similar waiting in the basement.
bigger but similar. :)

IMG_1329-1.jpg

IMG_1333-1.jpg

that's a pretty cool frame you've got there, I like the chainring.
It's finally done! Rode it around the block a bit and took some pics. It' pretty interesting to ride around since you're sitting right over the rear wheel; it's fun to hop the front over a speed bump then have the back kick up and bounce around :D . The only potential issue I see is the chain gets pretty loose when the shock is compressed, which is most of the time I'm pedaling. I may need to ratchet strap the rear till it's compressed, then retension the chain, although that may make it too tight when it's not compressed. So far, it seems ok, so I'll just ride around with a 15mm wrench in case the chain pops off.
IMG_7992.jpg

IMG_7996.jpg

IMG_7998.jpg

Latest posts

Back