Date this Bike if you can

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok like my name I love Yarsd sales,Estate sales,& Garage sales.Any way I have had this pic. for about 2 years and just thought it was cool .Now the hard part can any one here tell what kind of bike the guy in rolling I have no idea. any way enjoy
scan0001-1.jpg

what a great picture. so that's the dirt street behind him, and he's on the sidewalk, which looks like it might be timbers. I wonder what year it was taken.

Great photo!
I can't identify the bike because I'm just not savvy enough about the bikes of that era but it's going to fall somewhere slightly before or after 1900, I suspect the latter. The dirt streets and plank sidewalks were commonplace throughout the U.S. all the way through the 1920's, and in more rural towns the dirt streets were prolific through the 40's. (How quickly we forget)
The scene behind the man is typical in areas at the outskirts of smaller cities from about 1860-1920, by outskirts I mean within about a 10 minute walk from the city center. Dirt streets with the trees planted at intervals along the margins and the original large, deep city lots with plenty of space around them, the "summer kitchens" and outbuildings are visible as well. By the 1920's slightly smaller homes would begin to appear up closer to the streets and by the 1950's those small post war homes would have filled in the spaces completely.
I'm really guessing 20th century as the man is dressed more plainly, we'd be surprised just how ornately people were still dressing as late as 1890.

I keep looking at this photo. I really like it. Neat things you pointed out Tailwinds. is it me, or are those fairly long crank arms?

Rev.LowBuck said:
Sorry, can't date that bike, I'm married. I might set her up with a friend though.
Send her my way, my girlfriend doesn't mind my bike obsession. I even have 2 bikes in the bedroom.

Back