Damaged decals

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my bike back from the powder coaters, and put my decals on, and while the bike looks awesome, I am concerned that the decals are going to be entirely too easy to damage. I have considered having a clear coat put on, however I have two concerns. First, will the necessary sanding damage the decals finer points (it's a 62 Schwinn Typhoon)? Second, since these are sticker style decals and not water soluble style decals, if the sanding doesn't damage the decals, will the solvent in the clear coat destroy the sticky in the decal glue causing the decals to slide and or fall off? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would be more than happy to try something else, however I have nothing else to try it on, and the decal set costs 30 bucks. As for removing them at a later date, If this turns out the way I hope, this will be a permanent build. I mostly wanted to know if anybody else had done this and what they did to preserve it. I have also considered buying a second set of decals and having a set of "reverse" decals, then painting the openings and viola! all origional style paint graphics. Anyhoo, thanks for your help.

I couldn't figure out why you want to 'remove the decals later' after trying that hard to get them on your ride.

Regarding 'melting' the decal or adhesive; if you give it a mist coat (very light) of clear, there will not be sufficient solvent to cause a problem.
I have put cellulose over very sensitive decals/markings including waterslide and marker pen. Both of which dissolve in cellulose.
You need a very light coat or two and make sure it is well dried out between coats. This will protect the under layers.
It sounds like you are getting vinyl cut graphics, in which case ask your supplier for the negative bit they normally weed out and throw away. I have found that paint looks better than the vinyl as it is that much thinner so is easier to cover with clear coat. You can also do cool shading if you fancy.
I bought a vinyl cutter to do RC cars and probably spray more using the vinyl as a mask than I do applying vinyl as graphics.

I finally signed up to the forum after months of lurking after seeing so little response to your question.
Kevin. Surrey, England.

Regarding, 'why remove decals'; paint is tougher than decals and will last longer with the bump and bangs stuff gets in life. I have a 40+ year old BSA with original decals, some rougher than others. I can look at this two ways, if they were originally clearcoated would they look better now, or if I carefully removed and replaced the 'bad' ones would the bike look better? Somewhat of a moot point now, and I do tend to keep an original just so as long as possible anyway, but if redoing a bike I would have to consider which way to go.

Thank you gcrank1 and Kevin from Surrey. I appreciate your help. After talking to my friend at one of the bike shops I frequent, I have decided to put a clearcoat on just over the decal areas. If I have to redo them for any reason down the line, then all I have to repaint is the small areas. We will see how this works out. This is my first "restoration." Everything else to this point has been a rebuild or a custom. Again, my thanks for your input.

Good luck with that Iron Horse. It sounds like a grand plan.
If you have powder coated then a wipe down with thinners will remove the clear coat and decals without damaging the PC finish.
But ride it - enjoy it first. That is a bridge for further down the road.

Hi gcrank1. I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful. You are spot on that the decals are the first to go.
I guess I am just too lazy to redo a frame until it is desperately ugly.

Kevin

No worries Kevin, and I didnt mean to sound 'surly'!; I sometimes get in hurry to post between projects and it can come across a bit too terse, thats a failing of this com medium.
I assume we are all gentlemen (and women) until its proved otherwise :D .

Back