>> Daily Chronicles of the Shelby Rat <<Feb 5 - 98% Finis!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: >> Daily Chronicles of the Shelby Rat << Tues 12/30 UPDATE@@

I'm pretty sure I've seen that strapping in rolls of 20 - 50 feet (or more). Great idea for fender brace!! I often wander aimlessly in Lowes Depot looking for a solution. Many times I find the answer in an aisle that I never would have thought to go down.

***edit *** http://www.hvactool.com/catalog.php3?hc ... hsubcat=34
I've seen the copper in plumbing supply stores, only the plastic in Lowes Depot.

I have a Shelby also.My frame looks just like yours,had a springer but it got lost/sold over the years.My head badge was different,I'll take some pics and post them when I get a chance.Yours is looking great!Mine is sort of a board tracker,looks cool but kills my back to ride it that way!

I miss hearing about this bike. no update since 2008!!!! I hope you didn't get bored of this one Joe.

no, he isnt off and running on the 5 bar, unless he found a differant one, I still have mine

Monark 5 bar is still in negotiation for the moment. Communication via PM until further notice.

As for the Shelby - Still waiting on my tires. I want to get it completely mocked up and ridden before I decide on paint. I did get a wicked cool idea for paint, but as I said I will share as I make progress. I have made no progress on anything else except getting cleaned up and halfway organized. I was seriously running out of room and the wife laid down the gauntlet! :shock: :shock:

Hopefully this week on the tires. Until then....

Joe

I love, love, love, the latest photos of the assembly. That bike is masculine. Now, with the tank, fenders, and light, it's looking like a Bombardier GT-350. I really like what you've done.

Re: >> Daily Chronicles of the Shelby Rat <<Thursday Jan 28 New

Late, late, late last night I got the tires mounted and the rear fender braces cut and fit to the frame. I am leaning towards painting the frame red oxide and leaving the fenders bare. The forks will be flat black along with the train light. A word about mounting these tires LOTS OF WD-40 helps! By hand I could get all but the last ten inches and then I had to employ mutiple tire levers to get the tire on. Rated for 50 ponds these tire/wheel combos should provide a smooth ride.

Jan28a.jpg

Jan28b.jpg

Dude, i'm so lovin the lines on that tank and guard, ... the rim/tire combo... the whole package really. :shock: :shock:
The only things that just don't seem to fit are the fender struts, they just pull your eyes away from the rest of the lines.
If the goal is keeping it low buck, a better solution to new fender bracing might be some brake line, cut to the same lengths as the strapping. To contour it so that you can bolt/rivet them to the fenders, flatten the tubing with a vice or hammer, and bend it around an inflated tire to get the curve right. Then, flatten both ends, drill your holes where the struts bolt to the frame and fenders.
You follow me?
Just my 2 cents man, still digging the bike, I needs to gets me a frame like that.
Rick

OOOOOOOOOOOooooo SWEeT idea! I have a brake line bender too! Might be expensive though, but I will look into it. I had a different look for the whole bike in mind when I made these, but alas I just can't bring myself to chop and cut up vintage parts in this kind of condition. If they were rougher I might. 8)

You also gave me another idea for a ligh bracket on another bike I have!

Off to the shop!

Joe

rick74304 said:
Dude, i'm so lovin the lines on that tank and guard, ... the rim/tire combo... the whole package really. :shock: :shock:
The only things that just don't seem to fit are the fender struts, they just pull your eyes away from the rest of the lines.
If the goal is keeping it low buck, a better solution to new fender bracing might be some brake line, cut to the same lengths as the strapping. To contour it so that you can bolt/rivet them to the fenders, flatten the tubing with a vice or hammer, and bend it around an inflated tire to get the curve right. Then, flatten both ends, drill your holes where the struts bolt to the frame and fenders.
You follow me?
Just my 2 cents man, still digging the bike, I needs to gets me a frame like that.
Rick

Sounds like a good plan. I assume you are leaving the chainguard bare metal also. I agree on the fender struts.

I mounted some Felts- Quick Bricks on generic rims with troubles. You may need to buy a Kool Stop Bead Jack.

Yea I think the Idea for the struts is a great Idea I'd also make them curved like the ones on a 38 Shelby Airflow.

Glad you all like the idea, not bad for a total spur of the moment thing, right? As I was typing my reply saying that I wasn't too fond of the copper, I thought to myself, "well, if you're going tell the man you don't like his work, you better have a plan "b" for him" A couple of minutes staring off into space and bam :idea:
Small enough to look right, easy enough to work with, cheap enough to afford. I do actually like that copper strapping (I was going to use some to hang my tank from my boardtracker before finding the red leather belt I did use) but it just didnt seem right for this particular build.
Now, can't wait to see what Joe cooks up next :D
Rick
P.S. Hey Joe, if you come across another bike like that keep me in mind man :wink:

thatismytruck said:
SS brake line is not cheap. I think I paid $40 for 8 feet.
Dang, so much for my being Mr. Originality! :oops: Never want to be accused of stealing another man's thunder, here's the link where you clearly state what you used; http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10991
I don't remember reading that part, but there it is. Lets just chalk it up to "great minds thinking alike" :wink:
Still can't wait to see what Joe does with it.
Rick

Latest posts

Back