BO15 Cyrus the Virus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol methinks the wheel will take more than three days (the time the virus can survive on hard surfaces) to get here from China.
Heat of the shipping container will kill it.

Plus there's the whole thing where they've currently got 65 active cases and we have 1,157,808 :confused:

So it's more likely to come from your delivery driver.

Wheel looks awesome BTW. Remind me of something you'd see on a chopper. Perfect for the Virus
166-chopper-motorcycle-vector-image.png

I took the trike up to a friends house to show him. While there I got him to man the camera for me. I have decided I'm going to get a new freewheel without the granny gear, so I can also use a shorter derailleur. Unless I'm on pristine flat pavement, this derailleur bottoms out on the ground.

I took the trike up to a friends house to show him. While there I got him to man the camera for me. I have decided I'm going to get a new freewheel without the granny gear, so I can also use a shorter derailleur. Unless I'm on pristine flat pavement, this derailleur bottoms out on the ground.

Sick!

I didn't name it Cyrus the Virus for no reason. Thank you.

I'd say the gear you had it in looked quite easy to pedal, and I'm surprised how easy it was to do that u turn in the laneway. Much more rideable than I anticipated.
I'll put Cyrus against any bike when it comes to turning. This thing turns on a dime.

I didn't expect it to be anywhere near as rideable as it is either.

Ride video! Ride video! Yea!
What gear were you in? Spin to win...!
I was in 5th on the freewheel, and the front was in low with a ridiculously small chainring. It was way too low, so bad that it was hard to keep up once you started coasting. I need to find a new crankset, the teeth on every ring on this one is in really bad shape. Now I know why it threw the chain a few times while I was getting it dialed in.

I'm two steps back I think, maybe three.

I pulled out the freewheel, and put the 13-28 on it to see if that works. With the 40t front chainring, 1st is certainly doable for small hills, and 7th cruises along about as fast as I would want to go as the trike steers real fast!

The freewheel is bent and worn out. I couldn't get it into half of the gears. I'm not sure if the new derailleur is wrong for it.

So I need to find a crankset, freewheel, and possibly derailleur and shifter.

I would check the derailleur. I've seen sloppy bearings in the pivots, bent or sloppy cage and really crud encased jockey wheels.

I would check the derailleur. I've seen sloppy bearings in the pivots, bent or sloppy cage and really crud encased jockey wheels.
The derailleur I put on when I swapped freewheels is brand new. I just ordered a new freewheel, hopefully I'll get it working again. The derailleurs were surely designed for access from the front, having it under the axle housing makes adjusting it a bit of a pain.

I want to have a shifter that I can actually operate while I'm riding the trike when the new freewheel and crankset get here. So I cut the 90 degree part of the shifter at 45 degrees, and spun it 180 degrees, with a minimum degree of difficulty. :rofl: Now it comes out straight and it fits perfect. It aims the cable right under the seat, but is forward enough to easily turn the adjuster.

JB Weld worked great the last time I did this, so I'm using it again. I have a piece of wire in it that I pull out when the JB is pretty well setup. This is to keep a clear passage for the inner cable. The 5/8" freewheel adapter is on top of it just so it doesn't fall over and mess up the glue joint before it sets up.

P6090208.JPG
P6090209.JPG

So while the shifter housing cures, I decided to start on the tank. I'm making it a bit larger than my poster board one from a few pages back. I have an idea of how I want to go about building it. Am I doing it correctly? I have no idea, I've never done one before!

P6090206.JPG
P6090207.JPG

Last edited:

:inlove::heart::rockout::inlove::rockout::41::heart::rockout::41::cry:

(In brief-Is Speechless in Awe)

The bike looks so much smaller than I imagined it in the video. But that's great! Looks to be pretty nimble too. LOVE THIS BUILD!!!!

Oh yeah, and that front wheel is gonna rock on this!!

The bike looks so much smaller than I imagined it in the video. But that's great! Looks to be pretty nimble too. LOVE THIS BUILD!!!!

Oh yeah, and that front wheel is gonna rock on this!!
I wasn't sure if the bike was smaller than I expected or @Psychographic is bigger than I expected.

I'll have to measure the bike. Like you guys, I too am surprised how compact it looks with a rider. The only thing big about me is my gut! I see this trike every day and it looks big without anyone on it.

I got to use a tool I've always wanted to try, an English Wheel. I managed to put the curve I wanted on the tank top, but it was hard to get the metal to roll where I wanted it to go. What I thought would make it go left, would make it go right instead. I had to stop and pause quite a few times to think about how to get it where I wanted it to go. I really didn't think I was accomplishing much until I put a straight edge across the top, then it became very evident I had all the curve I needed.

The tank really looks like a King Cobra, I might play off of that when paint time comes.

P6110210.JPG
P6110211.JPG
P6110212.JPG

Last edited:
I'll have to measure the bike. Like you guys, I too am surprised how compact it looks with a rider. The only thing big about me is my gut! I see this trike every day and it looks big without anyone on it.

I got to use a tool I've always wanted to try, an English Wheel. I managed to put the curve I wanted on the tank top, but it was hard to get the metal to roll where I wanted it to go. What I thought would make it go left, went right instead. I had to stop and pause quite a few times to think about how to get it where I wanted it to go. I really didn't think I was accomplishing much until I put a straight edge across the top, then it became very evident I had all the curve I needed.

The tank really looks like a King Cobra, I might play off of that when paint time comes.

View attachment 125613View attachment 125614View attachment 125615
Reminds me of a Billy Lane tank

Latest posts

Back