CWC Western Flyer, brought back to life

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all started a few months ago... I wanted to buy a bike to ride to work everyday but couldn't bring myself to buy something new and Chinese. I like old stuff, and would rather restore something old than buy new imported stuff. I was not in a hurry since it was about 20 degrees outside then. I didn't even bother looking in classified ads, etc... About a month ago, my buddy Philip mentioned his old friend Byron (also the guy who told me about this forum) was selling a 1940's Western Flyer. I told Philip I wanted it and to let Byron know. Later that week, I hooked up with Byron and bought the bike. I carried it home in the back seat with the top down in my Mustang conv., LOL. It must have been a sight!

This is one of Byrons pics plucked from his thread back in January. This was the "good side". Notice the slightly bent back fork.
028.jpg

The day I brought it home. The other side... The bike had taken on a mute shade of rusty dirt.
759865468_photobucket_23674_.jpg

This is what a $4 remnant of leather and some free neoprene foam can get you, after a lot of elbow grease... I sand blasted the the black parts and polished up the shiny bits with a SS wire brush and chrome polish. This was the only thing I "restored".
759865468_photobucket_23679_.jpg

759865468_photobucket_23680_.jpg

The second thing I did was rebuild the Bendix coaster brake hub. The chrome was popping off the lever so I blasted it and shot it with chrome paint. It looks not just good, but just good enough. Along the way I forgot how to re-assemble the coaster brake parts so I fumbled thru it and got it together. The brakes don't work too good so I think something is slightly amiss.
759865468_photobucket_23678_.jpg

I was determined to keep the inch pitch, skip tooth set-up on this bike. None of the parts were in great shape and Byron even recommended finding another chain or replacing the set-up with a modern chain. After I got the chain off I determined it wasn't actually that bad. It didn't have any stiff links so I soaked if for a week or so and wire brushed it, soaked it, wire brushed it some more. I still has some rusty patina on it, but most of the rollers are free and it actually works great.
759865468_photobucket_23677_.jpg

This is one thing about these old bikes that I LOVE. Chain adjusters, just like a motorcycle. Also seen in this pic is the original red color the bike is supposed to be.
759865468_photobucket_23676_.jpg

I spent about 4 hours on the paint on the frame, fork, and wheels. I didn't want to repaint it. They are only original once. I started with gray Scotchbrite using 3M rubbing compound as "lubrication". I finished up with Mothers Carnuba wax. Polishing the paint, rust, and whatever was still attached after the first rub down. One side (remember the "good side") has great paint for it's age. The other side has thin paint and slight surface rust in areas. It must have had one side facing the sunshine, or florescent lighting or something. I don't believe however that the bike was always left outdoors. I can say one thing is for sure, it won't be left outdoors ever again. At least as long as I own it.

Well, enough BSing around. Here are the "done" pictures. Fork straightened (I wish I had a pic of my buddy Philip standing on our welding table with a pipe trying to straighten them out). I cut the bars and re-welded them to suit the look I was going for. I put the old grips back on. Schalbe Fat Frank tires. (ordered from Niagara Cycle works) And some inexpensive pedals bought from a local bike shop (Agee's, been in business for, well, ever...) Total investment, $135.00. The tires/tubes were $90 alone. I looked at hundreds of pictures of bikes on this forum and the CABE, and others. I also had my heart set on putting a motor on this thing (I am in love with Board Track Racers), but after getting it together, I think it looks just perfect the way it is. The only additions may be a fork brace and possibly a tank. I am also looking at some handlebars from Velo-Orange.

759865468_photobucket_23686_.jpg

759865468_photobucket_23685_.jpg

759865468_photobucket_23683_.jpg

759865468_photobucket_23682_.jpg

The pedals are cool because they disassemble like the old ones. I got something special in mind for them. Also not too noticeable, the crank is bent a little.
759865468_photobucket_23687_.jpg

A parting shot of the beautiful badge.
759865468_photobucket_23681_.jpg

Nice work , really like the way the seat turned out mild investment for a great turnout ! how does she ride ?

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
Nice work , really like the way the seat turned out mild investment for a great turnout ! how does she ride ?

Overall, pretty good. Them old spokes are creaking though! LOL.

Thanks, the seat did turn out great, IMO. I was really surprised at how well the springs cleaned up.

I hadn't seen a WF of that vintage. I had only seen the head badges.
My WF is from the 70's which came with a decal on the head tube.

I will be the first to admit that I HATE when people do the flipped handlebar thing and call it a board tracker, however the way you did those bars In my opinion set that bike off, that is a great job! I am in love with the way the paint looks just as is.

Perfect 10!

P.S. That is a good looking seat as well.

Buck Masterson said:
I will be the first to admit that I HATE when people do the flipped handlebar thing and call it a board tracker, however the way you did those bars In my opinion set that bike off, that is a great job! I am in love with the way the paint looks just as is.

Perfect 10!

Ditto :mrgreen: 8)

Buck Masterson said:

Perfect 10!

Buck, I agree, 100%. Like I said in the first post, I have looked at hundreds of bikes, mostly Board Trackers, real originals, and bicycle versions. I looked all over for bars that were "right". I couldn't find any. That is until mine had already been visited by my band saw and TIG welder.

These bars, (which happen to look just like mine, LOL) are perfect for a BTR.
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... onfig.html

I like them, and their Porteur bars as well. I like there stuff. They have some neat stuff like leather bar tape and grips and such. I'm always looking for something that will improve the appearance of something (anything)in a vintage way.

Thanks guys for all the kind words! I have really enjoyed going thru the gallery looking at all the bikes and I'm happy to be able to share mine.

that is one of the neatest bikes ive seen in awhile! 8) the natural two-tone paint fade is priceless. its like having two different bikes in one.great job! :D

that is one of the neatest bikes ive seen in awhile! 8) the natural two-tone paint fade is priceless. its like having two different bikes in one.great job! :D

Great job!.........I bought the bike for $25,and right away wanted to find someone who would take it,fix it and ride it! Didn't want to make a penny on it,& didn't,as From what I see here,tells me I sold it to the right person!

Sweet looking bike, the cwc frame fast became my favorite now my Schwinns sit in wait for my attention but I find myself always out
on my cwc roadmaster...it definately gets alot more attention by people than any Schwinn I own !

Thanks guys! I just finished it saturday morning and rode it with my kids around the Museum District. I noticed a few things loosened up so I snugged everything up. I cant wait to ride it to work Monday morning!

As for those rims,they were in great shape,but needed new spokes! That's why I said to put on another set of wheels,till the orig,was done right! Those wheels may bend on ya,and then where are ya!

You're right about that Byron. These things creak. I will likely have them re-spoked. I spoke (pun intended, LOL) to Kate at Rowlett's about them already. I took them both to her, and she stuck them on the trueing stand for me. There is a slight dent in one rim (I don't remember which) and that is causing some loose spokes.

Hey, thanks again for passing on the deal to me. I am really enjoying this bike. I just picked up a early to mid '50's Firestone Deluxe Cruiser (girls) from Philip for my wife. It's needs to be restored, but it's a cool bike. I pumped the tires up (original Firestone " High Speed" tires)and rode up and down my ally.

That great!............By the way,I picked up two mid 80's Ross Diamond Cruisers 186 & 187 today,paid $15 a pop for them,will post photos soon!

Latest posts

Back