custom kick scooter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scooters are not very popular in America. But in Europe and Asia they're very popular. The scooter world is just as diverse as the bicycle world. There are cruising scoots, racing scoots, gravity scoots, downhill scoots (like downhill MTB), BMX scoots with 20" wheels, dog mushing scoots. There are small urban ones used in large cities, that can fold and be brought on a subway or train, or restaurant, stores. We've used our 12" ones when we go somewhere and have a lot of stop and go for a mile or so, like a fair or giant flea market, you just step off and walk it. I've taken larger racing Kickbikes and converted them to cruiser types, and we've done up to 20 miles. They're half as fast as a bike, but 3 times faster than walking.

D_S, yours is absolutely gorgeous.

Someday I'll finish this one.
008_zpscb24416c.jpg

These two are extremely easy to kick. Footboard is under 3" high. Very high quality wheels and bearings, with tires that hold 110psi. They are "scary" fast going downhill.
1da6a76d-c1db-49d9-a0a3-f3af24f8b2f3_zps521d3a4c.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a custom scooter that a friend and I built. It's a frame that I made based from a bike design of his (my instructions, "make a scooter version of my bike"). Once he had the frame, he did the rest. We did it as a goof, but it turned out to be one of the hits of Shiny Side Up.
tedsscooter_zps277fec12.jpg
Beautiful!

Luke.

Deven S. That's amazing!! How about a pic of the inspiring bike?

Alright. Hopefully Ted doesn't mind these pics getting around (and in the case of the other shot, a pic of him). Designed by my friend Ted, frame fabricated by me.
Tedsbike_zps69f01c1f.jpg

any trke scooters ?
Now there is a thought! You would hit your heel on the back wheel while pushing though wouldn't you? Or do you mean a tadpole trike with 2 wheels in front?

Luke.

Unless you built the trike using twin downtubes that then ran back behind where you would usually push through then looped out in a u shape and forwards to support the rear wheels outside the push area.
Think longer deck area e.g. old style mal surfboard rather than newer short surfboard.

Deckplate to stand upon would join the tubes which would transition from side by side on way down from steer tube to wider for deckplate then wider again after extended deckplate to come back forwards so rear wheels had support on both sides of axle.

Other option using the same tube style, use wider area at back to put 1 crazy fat wheel like 'big jim' or 'bad donald' and have the drag scooter look. :crazy:

Great Bike and Scoot Deven S!!! Those frames and building skill are awesome!

Love the breaking system on this one
1Scooter%20dog%20sled%20All%20Terrain%20trike%20Scooter%20Silver%20husky%20%20rear%20%20break%20adult%20hippo%20bobbybilt%20tricycles%20scooters%20wagons%20%20kaz-usa.com.jpg

But, if you think about it, three wheels remove the chance to swing from side to side, especially on curves IMHO.
2 Wheels = More fun :crazy2:

Here's a custom scooter that a friend and I built. It's a frame that I made based from a bike design of his (my instructions, "make a scooter version of my bike"). Once he had the frame, he did the rest. We did it as a goof, but it turned out to be one of the hits of Shiny Side Up.
tedsscooter_zps277fec12.jpg
Deven, that scooter is SWEET!

Latest posts

Back