Custom Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This bike is a Hawthorne that I bought at a Garage sale in May. I just decided to post this because I was looking to get some good feedback (My parents aren't real helpful).
here is what i started with
DSCN7067.jpg

DSCN7068.jpg

DSCN7070.jpg

DSCN7071.jpg

DSCN7073.jpg

DSCN7076.jpg

at this point, i have all the paint stripped and everything primed
DSCN7109.jpg

Here I mocked it up a little and the fenders / chainguard are painted white.
DSCN7386.jpg

DSCN7387.jpg

Well, here goes the second try at posting this..
I found some good, gloss-finish, white to put over the flat white that I didnt like. the nozzles kept clogging up on the gloss though, so i stuck my hand into our vast forest of spray paints and grabbed a grey galvanizing paint. I took the nozzle and ran. when spraying the gloss white through the galvanizing nozzle, it was like busting open the hoover dam but in spray form. I really had to feel bad for the environment but it will all pay off soon :lol: . I sucessfully painted everything (besides the tiny balls of paint that came out of the can, that should come off with a little wet sanding right?) the only thing I didnt paint yet are the rims. Now... i have always turned away from the commonly used "red rims", but now I am finally considering them. Just feel free to say anything you like. i really need some experienced opinion on this build...
DSCN7388.jpg

DSCN7389.jpg

DSCN7390.jpg

DSCN7392.jpg

DSCN7393.jpg

DSCN7394.jpg

DSCN7395.jpg

Here is what I got done the second half of the day. I overcame my fear of ruining the whole paint scheme of the bike by painting the rims red. I REALLY liked it. I got everything found that needs to be put on the bike and it is ready to roll once this paint dries. The seat is put together. I might put something on the seat but im not sure. i am also going to work on the stripes and detailing later so sit still. otherwise, I am really happy with how it is shaping up :D 8)
DSCN7405.jpg

DSCN7407.jpg

DSCN7406.jpg

DSCN7408.jpg

it looks like it will fit :D
DSCN7401.jpg

too bad the nut is rusted on :(
DSCN7418.jpg

I think like the seat the way it is
DSCN7411.jpg

DSCN7410.jpg

here it all is...
DSCN7414.jpg

I had to pack up tonight but ill see ya in the morning!
DSCN7413.jpg

Thanks for the posotive comments!
I was out there today to do a little rim work.
To see what my choices are, I slapped on some old tires on the red rims. Me and my grandma concluded that the black wall tires looke better.
DSCN7419.jpg

DSCN7421.jpg

DSCN7423.jpg

this is it!! but it will be shiny not wore and blown out :lol:
DSCN7422.jpg

I also found a five geared rear axle that I am going to use. It looks like I am going to need too contort the rear dropouts for this wider axle.
DSCN7425.jpg

Its a little rough
DSCN7426.jpg

Here is the result of about 40 minutes of twisting spoke nippes. :D :D
DSCN7427.jpg

This seems to be good enough
DSCN7428.jpg

I will need to tap out some more threading on each spoke and ill be set. Just how much....?

Awesome looking bike to start with! Really like the color combo so far-- can't wait to see your striping ideas. Absolutely love that seat! Maybe paint it red? I'm going with the same sort of 'bare metal' seat on my EVAN's "PERP", but I'm gonna drill holes in it and paint it....... maybe orange, red? I'm like you, not really wanting to do the red rims thing, but they do look sooooooooooooooo cool :?

CapnUNITarian said:
Awesome looking bike to start with! Really like the color combo so far-- can't wait to see your striping ideas. Absolutely love that seat! Maybe paint it red? I'm going with the same sort of 'bare metal' seat on my EVAN's "PERP", but I'm gonna drill holes in it and paint it....... maybe orange, red? I'm like you, not really wanting to do the red rims thing, but they do look sooooooooooooooo cool :?
. Thanks! I was prolably going to leave the seat bare besides MAYBE apholstering it later. The only reason I didnt really want to have red rims is because it seems so main stream. I think I'll work on striping today and taping off. That reminds me, does anyone have any cool headpost area paint jobs? I kinda want a vintage looking headpost zone :D :) :D

Well, today was somewhat experimental. I didnt get much done, but i figured out how to do this...
I had trouble getting the painters tape straight, so i came up with this little marker
DSCN7446.jpg

DSCN7445.jpg

it may not have been the most accurate, but it WORKED.
DSCN7435.jpg

DSCN7437.jpg

here are the poorly crafted hawthorne rims for ya, not even centered. and thats not my fault, I measured!
DSCN7432.jpg

I am just doing the front fender for now
DSCN7442.jpg

DSCN7443.jpg

the point of no return!
DSCN7444.jpg

here it is with the rims and their FINAL COAT!!!!
DSCN7447.jpg

Oh, and does anyone have any opinion on the five speed idea? I'm really stuck between what I want to do and any opinoins would help. Thanks in advance!

i am lookin forward to seein those fenders... they look good thus far.

5sp Imo do it... a bike is most likely to be used if it is ride able ..............plus more chrome.
or even a 3sp much more user friendly...

axsepul said:
nice bike. i say loose the five speed and go with a kickback!!
Hold your horses! What is a kickback? I'm listening...

I would possibly consider a sturmey 3speed but I'm not really a fan of those...

My 1st choice would be a new departure triplspeed
2nd choice a kickback
3rd choice a 3 speed sturmey, so you made a good decision since the first two are really hard to get. I have 2 bikes with triplspeed and I wish every bike I get could be a triplspeed but that's impossible

I actually just remembered that this bike needs to be a pedal brake, not a rim brake :( :oops: that was close haha.
here is todays doing.
DSCN7450.jpg

DSCN7448.jpg

DSCN7453.jpg

The edge of the paint isnt as clean as I'd have hoped so I might get myself to try out pinstriping a black line between the white and red.
I really dont know if this is going to follow through to the finished project but i might choose between these four spoke nipple colors, Gold, Bronze, a better bronze and the bare spoke nipple.
DSCN7456.jpg

Looking really good! Color combo rocks! You going to paint that black pinstripe-- or use black pinstriping tape and then clear it?
Yeah, go single or 3 speed. Much simpler, and maybe rig up a cool stick shifter for the 3 speed. Keep up the good work-- coz I want to see more! 8) 8) :)

Latest posts

Back