Custom Diamondback "JOKER" ~~DONE, FINISHED, CONCLUDED!~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookin cool so far, Luke... Would that be Chain Reaction Cycles???
That would indeed! I have to say, I am a fan! Prices are better than local plus free shipping, just means you have to wait longer for them to arrive, royal UK mail is slow...

Luke.

Absolutely loving the fat 20 inchers!! Cannot wait to see this bike done.
Yeah, they look awesome, there is something about the 20" size that just looks good with fat whitewalls!
Have to say Chain Reaction has to be the best online cycle store I have ever dealt with. Great prices and very helpful staff.
Agreed! I guess postage to you would be quicker to than all the way to Australia too! They also gave me a discount voucher for my next order, so I think the Schwalbe Kojaks I have been wanting for my 120 MiniVelo will soon be ordered!

Luke.

Yeah, they look awesome, there is something about the 20" size that just looks good with fat whitewalls!

Agreed! I guess postage to you would be quicker to than all the way to Australia too! They also gave me a discount voucher for my next order, so I think the Schwalbe Kojaks I have been wanting for my 120 MiniVelo will soon be ordered!

Luke.
Yeah just a bit quicker!! ;)

Definitely need to up my tool arsenal and bike building game to join a future RBBO! :cool:

Definitely need to up my tool arsenal and bike building game to join a future RBBO! :cool:
No need to do that BigRed, jump in now and get the feel of how it all works, that will give you an advantage next time!

Luke.

Big man BMX for a big man, in stature and heart. Blow us away again good sir!
Thanks Yooth, that means a lot to me!

Well after all the praise in the last few posts I figured I had better get some actual progress made, thankfully I woke up not coughing and spluttering with the flu today and a nice sunny day too! Temps only topped out at 13 degrees but it was nice to get some sunshine for the first time in a week!

I had some good progress pics here showing the bikes I took some tubing from but somehow accidentally deleted them from my computer along with most of my nearly 500 bike pic ideas I had saved and mock-ups and drawings for the next few builds... :banghead:

Managed to save some but the rest are lost.

First up would have been a pic of the two bikes I stole tubing from today, one a Dunlop dual suspension and the other a Kent piece of rubbish MTB... The Dunlop had a nice curve in the top tube right above where the rear shock mounts up to, so it got cut off, cleaned up, drilled for plug welding and sleeved, A couple of photos of all that are missing, but here it is ready to join to the BB and down tube of the BMX:

14124809761_7bf6b94fc5_z.jpg

And then tacked in place:

14148195243_e4b2d62769_z.jpg

Starting to look good!

A cool little feature I found while cleaning the frame for welding that proves the name choice and donor bike were the correct choices:

14128129275_0fea303f7a_z.jpg

I then cut some tubing from the Kent MTB that matched the headtube and tacked it in place, there are some missing photos here, the next one I have is it done and sitting over the build board drawing:

14128414664_d95fcffa2b_z.jpg

If you are wondering about the piece of tube left attached to the top of the headtube, there is a big Diamondback "D" stamped there and I want to graft it into the tank somehow, I had a pic of it but it went away too, I will get another one next time...

I then set about cleaning the paint off the "tank", I don't know what paint/powder was used on it but it was tough and thick destroyed what was left of my wire wheel!

14125135792_ef46846cac_z.jpg

14128412014_892c966f3c_z.jpg

Very happy with todays progress, the wheelbase extension looks really good, I love the curve in the downtube! The build style is solidifying in my mind, I like the idea that someone could think it was a production bike, so I will keep that in mind as I go.

Luke.

I figured I could get some after the fact shots that may help fill in the blanks...
Here is the Dunlop MTB that donated the curved tube:

13941815680_a7ea16fb0a_z.jpg

Here is what is left of the Kent MTB, it has been used in other builds for parts too:

14148516823_9c8480a3fb_z.jpg

And the Diamondback "D" on the top tube:

13941813090_5a8f1110c2_z.jpg

Today also yielded my new avatar:

13941789250_c869823b17_o.jpg

Big day, but lots of progress, very happy! (Except for the lost photos! I need to get a back up drive...)

Luke.

That's too cool that your bike already had your build name build right in.

Back