Crusty & Rusty, Huffy & FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Crusty & Rusty, Huffy & Puffy

What did you use to cut he forks? I'll be doing a set of those soon, and was curious if there were any tricks or tips out there. I am thinking tubing cutter then hacksaw or maybe dremel.....

12gauge
To cut the fork tubes a large tubing cutter works well. This will leave a little sharp edge on the inside that you will need to remove with a file or a dremel to get the plugs in for final assembly. The best advice that I can give you would be to assemble the bike as completely as possible install the forks and raise the bike up and down on them until you have the height that you want. Then mark & cut the forks.

On another note I have the bike 90% assembled and was able to ride it around my yard a little today. I am still undecided about the shorter cranks but it seems okay. I'll take it to my favorite paved bike trail next week and try it out to see what the effort feels like. There is no asphalt within 2 miles of my house in any direction.

I am still waiting on a couple of more small parts before it is complete but can't resist posting a teaser photo.
peek.jpg

I finally got my headlight and grips in. I went kinda cheap on the headlight, but I'm not really planning on riding this one after dark much. If the situation changes I'll get a 27 led light like I have on my Mongoose and put it in this housing.
There is no taillight but I do have a small round reflector screwed into the end of the seat post. I just stuffed the end of the seat post with some bondo and the drilled and tapped a hole in the center for the reflector.
Even though it's not perfect I'm pleased with the paint. I did not try to fill pits or anything just removed all of the rust, treated it with a rust converter, and primed it. For my final sanding I used a bucket of hot soapy water and a fine scotchbrite pad, and then painted it.

Check it out and tell me what you think,
Floyd

huffinfrnt.jpg

huffinleft.jpg

huffinright.jpg

Wow, That is one Huffy that has been transformed. Beautiful job. I was wondering where you purchased the forks. Is there a brand name. I am starting a build on a Beach Cruser and really like the look of those forks. Ant help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys, and yes Galtbacken it has been very comfortable what little I've been able to ride it. The weather here in SC is supposed to be warmer than this in January!
Rat Rod Beach Goer,
There is no "brand name" site sponsor Chain Gang Lowrider carries them,
http://www.chainganglowrider.com/
There is also Choppers US bike parts
http://www.choppersus.com/store/department/1/Bicycles-Kits-Trike-Parts/
Got mine on Ebay from this outfit
http://cgi.ebay.com/CRUISER-BIKE-CHOPPE ... 35a7925c81
These are cheapest I've found but they only have 1" threadless with disc brake tabs
http://www.bikebuyers.com/PART-FY-TPT-570.htm

That's the extent of my knowledge on the forks. If anyone else know anymore feel free to chime in.

This bike had gotten to be a bit of a shop queen for a while now. But after I decided to go to NC and ride in the Tour De Fat, I pulled it out, put a standard length crank back in it, shined it up and hit the local trails with. It is so comfortable to ride and the forty tooth crank sprocket is actually a good compromise for my riding style.
My wife and I actually left the festivities a little early and rode over to the mall at the American Tobacco Campus to eat at the Cuban restaurant there. We rode into the courtyard there and pulled up to a bike rack that had a space on the end. Parked her Western Flyer as far into the end spot as it would go with a basket on the front and pulled this Huffy up beside it and locked the 2 of them together. When we came back someone had tried to move her bike out of its space and my bike was knocked over an lying on top of some guys Bontrager.
While nothing functional was damaged my paint was gouged and scraped pretty good.ARRRGH! :x
damage.jpg

So I guess that when I finish my build-off bike I'll repaint this one as it really is supposed to be my "finely finished" hot rod. But of course you know the end product may not be what I started out to do.

They never get completely finished do they? My new temporary hometown of Carolina Beach is bicycle heaven compared to my previous location. Since this is one of my best riding bicycles I decided to spruce it up a little and bring it with me. Instead of a repaint I just sanded the damaged spots and blended the paint. Since one of the clips on the rear of the seat that hold the seat cover on had gone mia, I replaced both of them with these license plate bolts leftover from a motorcycle I used to own.
Skullies!
huffseat.jpg

and some new old handlebars to up the comfort level even more.
huffnubars.jpg

There is some great riding around here. I'll post some pics in the appropriate forum asap.

Keep the dirty rusty side up,

One of the reasons, along with liking the looks, that I tend towards plain jane black paint on bikes is the ease of patching the scrapes and scratches that inevitably happen. Doesn't work too well with the deep hi-gloss versions. :lol: Love the rear dropouts. :wink:

:lol: Love the rear dropouts. :wink:

Good Looking bike 8)
I like the way you set it up so clean looking
Nice job!

Thanks gentlemen, this was my second build (of a bicycle) and in all honesty I still feel like it is the best one that I have done so far just because it is so simple and was built just to be an extremely comfortable rider.

Back