cruiser bike sizes HELP!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new to cruiser bikes and looking to rebuild one this wonter. got a line on a nice schwinn tiger, though not sure of the size just yet. here's a link if you want to check it out and tell me what you think. i'm a 6'1" 205 lb male. i know sizing is much about feel, but what is the rule of thumb. in feet and inches, not friggin cm please. what should i be looking for in size? 24? 26/ higher? please help asap as i am looking to make this purchase soon. thanks R.

as long as its got 26" wheels it will do fine. they were kind of "one size fits all" in the cruisers/middleweights/heavyweights back then (they did make a "king size" american in ?62-64? i believe for larger people), im 6' and feel right at home on a 26". ive rode 24" too but they put the bars a little too close to be comfortable, the 24" bikes were basically for juveniles or people under 5'.

btw, didnt see the link ?

sorry, the link is http://syracuse.craigslist.org/bik/879547085.html. i live in the burbs just outside syracuse ny. i can't tell the size. and i'm a little confused with what you are saying. sorry, figuring this out as i go. are you just meaning 26 and 24 inch TIRES (rims)? that's all i should look for really? or are you referring to frame sizes as well? do old cruisers go by tire size rather than frame size? if so, the tire size really affects the handlebar clearance? keep the info coming and thanks alot!

yup, i mean tire/wheel size. its a casual upright riding position so specific "fit" is only what the seatpost and bars will allow. even the new cruisers are one size only frames.

from the pics it looks to be a 26" just staring at the amount of space between the toptube and canti-bars. but pics can be decieving. its worth $100 easy even with the mismatched grips and seat too IMO, ask them if they still have the light that came on it originally too :mrgreen: chances are good but its worth it to ask.

so if i am to understand, if this tiger has 24's on it currently, i can switch them to 26's and be fine? or is there something i'm missing? frame size wise? does it look like it would fit you? as you are about my size it sounds. how would i, or the owner, go about measuring it, in lamens terms. lol. i don't think he knows what size it is.

If the bike originally had 24" wheels then no 26" won't fit. Bikes did come in a couple of different sizes but not near as many as newer bikes come in. They were measured by the wheel size i.e. 20", 24" and 26" each with it's own size frame. Of course they're are exceptions but just trying to simplify it.

just ask them what size tires it has, they should be 26 x 1-3/4, if so, it will fit you :)

the bike in the pics looks to be a 1962-1964 tiger, based on the color with chrome fenders. It would be a 26"wheel bike

schwinn 20" wheel bikes were for kids (but a stingray with a banana seat was said to fit a rider up to 6' tall)
schwinn 24" wheel bikes were marketed from around 7-10 year olds (or riders under 5') considered junior sizes
schwinn 26" wheel bikes were for everyone else

also, what the heck is the deal with thruster cruiser bikes??? i have the opportunity to buy a 26" from the 1970's era, but i can't find ANYTHING online about them. the bike is in nice condition. are they worth a ....? i thought it was just a retro lookalike from the 80's or so going by the forks and the reflectors. should i jump on it? or is it bot even worth the time and effort to restore and/or pimp out? the guy who owns it knows nothing other than what i just told you. that it is from the 1970's (he managed to checkthe serial number) but that's all he knows. and like, i said, i can find nothing. here's the bike. thanks!
http://rochester.craigslist.org/bik/896539059.html

nice schwinn. i have a confirmed 51' schwinn spitfire cruiser with the original seat and everything but tires. size should be good as long as it has 26" tires. i love mine, but it was tricky finding those 26x 1 3/4 tires (not 1.75). if unsure about its date, check with oldroads.com and look up schwinn ser numbers.

RXXL said:
where do i locate the serial number??

on the left rear dropout (where the rear wheel axle bolts to the frame), on later year schwinns it was stamped below the headbadge.

google "oldroads.com" or "trfindley.com" read the sites and you will know everything most of us do

I'm 6 foot 230 lbs and most 26" wheel bikes fit me OK, but occasionally one will feel rather small. If my toes scrape the back of the tire during a turn, I'll pass on the bike, even if it's a 26er. Some seem a little more compact than others. You just have to get on them and take them for a spin, if they're capable of being ridden at the time.

Generally speaking, bikes with 24" tires are boys bikes. They'll be too small for a 6' 1" guy. I've tried making adjustments to a smaller sized bike like putting on a banana seat, allowing the rider to sit further back, or adding a pair of apehangers angled forward, giving the rider a little extra room to steer, but ultimately it isn't a comfortable ride. Those tricks might work for you on a 26" with a frame that was just a tad too small, but not for a frame that was just way too small to begin with.

Then again, I've always been amazed what some of the guys on here come up with. Maybe you've got the next great idea.

ok so i picked up the schwinn tiger tonight, my first ever customization project. i can't call it a restoration project as i am not intending to use all the original parts or replace the ones needed. i took the bulk of it apart so far. i tried to find out the year on oldroads but wasn't so sure if i was looking at the right serial listings. i only found a general listing for schwinn bikes. and it seemed mine was a 1948? but i don;t think so at all. the number is E418026. lemme know if anyone can check and has better luck. now i just gotta strip it, repaint it the color i want, and clean the chrome parts i am keeping. what are the best ways to go about this process/processes? i wanna buy new bars that come up a little higher, and some fatter tires with the whitewalls. do they make them for schwinns? wheres the best place to look? i don't claim to have ever taken apart a hub before, and i'm not sure i wanna risk doing so on something so old. should i take it to a bike shop to do? i'm sure it needs to be cleaned. same with the guts of the crank. where do i find all the little pieces and bearings i made need to replace for both, are they still standard size. i want this baby to purr along. can i get a crank with freewheel and add handbrakes? can i mount them on the fender mounts if i leave off the fenders? what new and cool pieces and parts would fit this old girl? i know i'm bombarding you guys with questions. but i'm a rookie, sorry. PLEASE HELP!. you guys are the masters afterall. R.

ok so i picked up the schwinn tiger tonight, my first ever customization project. i can't call it a restoration project as i am not intending to use all the original parts or replace the ones needed. i took the bulk of it apart so far. i tried to find out the year on oldroads but wasn't so sure if i was looking at the right serial listings. i only found a general listing for schwinn bikes. and it seemed mine was a 1948? but i don;t think so at all. the number is E418026. lemme know if anyone can check and has better luck. now i just gotta strip it, repaint it the color i want, and clean the chrome parts i am keeping. what are the best ways to go about this process/processes? i wanna buy new bars that come up a little higher, and some fatter tires with the whitewalls. do they make them for schwinns? wheres the best place to look? i don't claim to have ever taken apart a hub before, and i'm not sure i wanna risk doing so on something so old. should i take it to a bike shop to do? i'm sure it needs to be cleaned. same with the guts of the crank. where do i find all the little pieces and bearings i made need to replace for both, are they still standard size. i want this baby to purr along. can i get a crank with freewheel and add handbrakes? can i mount them on the fender mounts if i leave off the fenders? what new and cool pieces and parts would fit this old girl? i know i'm bombarding you guys with questions. but i'm a rookie, sorry. PLEASE HELP!. you guys are the masters afterall. R.

E4 code means it was made May of 1964. As far as finding whitewalls for it, check your rims, they should be stamped with either S-2, S-5, or S-7. If they are S-2 you can use regular 26 x 2.125 tires that are widely available. If they are S-5 or S-7, they are Schwinn specific sizes, but you may be able to find whitewalls on ebay. Things like bars, bearings, etc. are also pretty easy to find on sites like http://www.bicycledesigner.com or http://www.streetlowriders.com or http://www.niagaracycles.com. If you decide to tackle the hubs and cranks, check out the how to section here, it is invaluable. There are a lot of great people here who are willing to help out with any problems you come across. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Back