Crossing into the "rat" side

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so this is my first "ratty" bike ever. I'm not sure if it really fits into the rat rod category. Anyway I picked up this Schwinn Manta Ray off the Bay a few weeks back, and got some parts together for it, most notably a set of Skyway 24" cruiser mags. Not a whole lot done on it yet, more parts are en route. Its gonna be a 5 speed, its real hilly where I live. I'm swapping the fork out so I can use standard 1" (22.2) stems in it, the current fork is an .833 (21.1) ID steer tube. Its gonna be dirt oriented as opposed to a street cruiser. I just really like the look of the frame, and have a weird thing for 24" wheels, so it gave me an excuse to get some mags and live out some pathetic 1980's BMX Bandits fantasy .
original39.jpg

original38.jpg

Thanks y'all, its the good creative vibes on this site that made me want to build something like this in the first place.

@ Lugisland: The 5 speed freewheel (others too) use the same thread pattern as a standard single speed freewheel, I just had to stack washers on the axle so the dropouts would contact the washers and not the cog, then I stacked the same number on the other side so the wheel is centered in the dropouts. The manta's were 5 speed originally, with a 120mm dropout spacing so it just takes a little spreading to squeeze the wheel in. Then I'll use a Shimano axle mounted derailleur.

original63.jpg

@KJV: Yeah, yellow and black is cool, I have black cranks and a black seatpost coming, and the bars and stem I have are black too. Always gives a nice sporty look IMHO

@MarkM: Thanks for the headsup on the meatgrinders, much appreciated, I had been looking for a set of those.

Walker said:
Is that a Hanebrink ET in your avatar, I had one of those!

Yes it is. Its a beast, a bit impractical but real neat nonetheless. So you got rid of yours then? I see you live in NH, I'm in the MWV area I do alot of work in the lakes region, didnt think any (many) of the Hanebrinks made it this far east.... I got mine off ebay last summer.

Looks like a pretty nice ride; why not leave the original forks and run a vintage bmx stem, or even just a Wald? Don't know how those original forks'll hold up on the trail, but they look good to me...

-rob

The problem with BMX stems is that they only fit 7/8 bars and length/rise options are very limited. I like the og forks too, but got the new ones in today an they look cool as well. Only thing is the crown race from the og forks doesnt fit the new fork. I just ordered another race so we are waiting again....

The thinner bar clamp diameter is a hassle, but there are some vintage options and even some new options available. Still, if you already have the fork and stem on the way, I guess it's all water under the bridge. Of course, wald stems and similar offerings from import component companies will tend to have a 1"/25.4mm clamp. My plan for my klunk pis to run a 4bolt bmx stem with the s&m cruiser slam bars, which have only 5 3/4" of rise, with a cross bar. $55 is a lot for bars, but it's not too bad if you can save $$ on a new fork and new head parts...

Was that frame a 26" originally? If so, what are your plans with the fork?

regards,
-rob

Manta's are (were) 24" wheeled bikes, I saw one on here that somebody was able to put a set of 26" wheels on though, looked real cool. I considered going with a low rise BMX cruiser bar but the bars I have for this are just so perfect for it, youll understand when you see, or you'll think I'm an idiot. The fork was only about $30 so it wasnt that big of a deal, its the waiting that kills me. I blow too much money on this stuff anyway so why start being logical now? I definitely dig the BMX fusion on klunkers though, plus its authentic to the originals, I have a Worksman frame that I'll be building up in a few months, still deciding on a few parts for that.....

I should have this one mocked up if not complete real soon.

Later

Re: Crossing into the "rat" side Manta Ray mashup

OK, I assembled and installed my crank,chainwheel and BB, then my crown race came in today so I was able to put her together for a mock up.... Now I just need to cut the steer tube, get my tires, shifter and brake lever(s), run cables and install chain...... not too far off..... Oh yeah, I need to find some 13/16 seat guts too, those are suprisingly elusive.
Manta001.jpg

Manta002.jpg

Manta004.jpg

Manta003.jpg

I like the build, wouldn't change much so far. As for the seat guts, you can get a wald shim for using a 7/8" gut on a 13/16" post... That's my plan for when i replace the sketchy wald seatpost for solid 13/16" round aluminum stock. You can cut the shim down so less of the steel is visible, if silver colors are out of this build...

hth
-rob

Bicycle808 said:
I like the build, wouldn't change much so far. As for the seat guts, you can get a wald shim for using a 7/8" gut on a 13/16" post... That's my plan for when i replace the sketchy wald seatpost for solid 13/16" round aluminum stock. You can cut the shim down so less of the steel is visible, if silver colors are out of this build...

hth
-rob

Thanks for the tip, I hadnt thought of cutting down a seat tube shim, I just ordered the shim and guts from Pork Chop.......

Back