Crazy Ride - Bogus Bomb Run w/Tour de Fat.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Friday afternoon we trailered the bikes up to Bogus Basin Ski Resort. 16 miles down to my house apprx. 3400 feet of elevation drop. We had 17 riders at the top and only 15.5 at the bottom. My wife hit a pothole and went over her bars. She was wearing a helmet but badly scraped up. She got a ride to the bottom from a passerby. My twin brother then tapped his brake(coaster brake) in a corner and slid out. he is pretty banged up too. We estimate he was going 25-30 mph. He made it to the bottom looking pretty(scary).

Pics are coming but Photobucket is slow. So here is the vid. I compressed 30 mins of riding into 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQoUAB7DzT8

Tour de Fat photos coming soon

Highlights

5 beers on tap.
Huge Parade
$42,000 raised for local bike groups ($8000 by Portland the week before)

CIMG2072.jpg

Tour de Fat pics

Our Stack of Bikes
CIMG2049.jpg

CIMG2050.jpg

My son riding the clown bike
CIMG2067.jpg

Cool Tank Track bike that was really hard to ride
CIMG2069.jpg

CIMG2071.jpg

My older brother riding the Chunky Monkey
CIMG2077.jpg

great video,looked like a killer downhill run! :) sounds like you were dragging an old metal wash tub behind you,though! :lol: :lol:

texasbigjon said:
great video,looked like a killer downhill run! :) sounds like you were dragging an old metal wash tub behind you,though! :lol: :lol:

You caught me.......I installed some disc brakes on my old Schwinn and they were nice.

I was using youtube for the music and it has synced yet.

aka_locojoe said:
I sure wish we had more time and could of worked this one also in since we were out that way. I did take note of the mountains at the back of the city as we passed through. Sorry to hear of the accidents.Thanks for the photos and video.

We will be doing it again next year :mrgreen: :mrgreen: As far as the accidents, No Scars, No Stories. Helmets are mandatory.

that blood was pretty gnarly, thanks for sharing.

also, where can I get me some tank treads!

Looks like a three wheeler with some monster brakes would be the best bike for that ride. :shock: Thanks for sharing,looks like everybody had fun.

benz said:
that blood was pretty gnarly, thanks for sharing.
also, where can I get me some tank treads!

Dunno but very cool bike just for the art and ingenuity.

FunkyStickman said:
That looks awesome!! But you gotta have brakes to go downhill... :shock:
I wish they'd do a Tour de Fat somewhere around here. I'd love to check that out.
Brakes are optional. Tires have lots to do with it too. Slicks make the bike fast. Treaded tires (Brick tread etc...) actually help to control speed.

Uncle Stretch said:
Looks like a three wheeler with some monster brakes would be the best bike for that ride. :shock: Thanks for sharing,looks like everybody had fun.
You build it and I will test it.

Great pictures and video. How long do you think the parade was at the Tour de Fat and did you wear a costume? We're going to the one in Denver in a couple of weeks and was just curious what to expect.

We actually did not make the parade. They changed the route. We usually pick it up halfway a few blocks from my house.

I would say 25% of the people did dress up. I am not that creative, plus it is always 95-100 degrees.

I would like to dress up but I too am not creative plus we have long drives to these events and would have to haul costumes in addition to everything else and hope they got there in one piece.
I bet Denver has a good turnout with a lot of people in costumes. I don't think the event would be quite the same without the people who are willing to dress up
In Portland I think the parade was about 6 miles and lasted over an hour. I remember Ft Collins being a pretty long ride and took time as well.

Looks like a really fun time, I had a blast at the TDF as well. If it is open to anyone, I'd love to join you next year!

Back