Crappy switch on Nirve vintage headlight

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just bought one of the Nirve 9v twin-LED vintage headlights for my wife's Electra cruiser for her B-day. The Hi-Lo selector switch on this thing is a piece of crap, which I knew from reading, but I at least expected it to work for a while. Looking at the way it's designed, no wonder it doesn't work.

Anyway, has anyone come up with a clean solution to fixing or replacing the selector switch?

Any help is appreciated.

Jim

rockethead26 said:
Hi all,

Just bought one of the Nirve 9v twin-LED vintage headlights for my wife's Electra cruiser for her B-day. The Hi-Lo selector switch on this thing is a piece of crap, which I knew from reading, but I at least expected it to work for a while. Looking at the way it's designed, no wonder it doesn't work.

Anyway, has anyone come up with a clean solution to fixing or replacing the selector switch?

Any help is appreciated.

Jim

I feel your pain. I got rid of the switch and my head light always has both lights on. Maybe not the best solution but it works for me. Rg

Raggedjim,

That sounds like the simplest idea. Thanks. I may try and substitute two 9-LED flashlight bulbs for the originals while I'm at it.

rockethead26 said:
Raggedjim,

That sounds like the simplest idea. Thanks. I may try and substitute two 9-LED flashlight bulbs for the originals while I'm at it.

Doesn't your Nirve have leds? Mine does, they don't look like leds but mine are. Or are you trying to go brighter?

raggedjim said:
rockethead26 said:
Raggedjim,

Doesn't your Nirve have leds? Mine does, they don't look like leds but mine are. Or are you trying to go brighter?

Yes, it has the two LED bulbs. I wanted to go brighter, but the flashlight bulbs I have are too big to fit. I think they fit the holes in the standard bulb Nirve. Oh, well, I guess she'll live with this until I build her something else.

I bought a 2xAA battery holder from Radio Shack and replaced the 9v, then using a panel punch made the hole a bit bigger for this paddle switch also from RS. Then I wired in 2 Nite-Ize LED upgrade modules for the small MagLites, they fit perfectly in the holes for the old light mounts. Got 'em for a real good price, theink it was a screw up at Dixie Line a few years back. Even with both on they run for a good amount of time, just one is much brighter than the original.

f77890e1.jpg

ac2e4ff6.jpg

6fb32080.jpg

LRB2-07_Feature_00_n.jpg

rockethead26 said:
Socal_jack,

Great upgrade on the Nirve. Just what I wa looking for. Thanks for sharing the how-to.

No problem, as soon as I saw the title of this thread I knew what the issue was. :? I took another look at the light and remembered why I got these upgrade lights cheap, they were first generation with 3 regular LEDs and were being clearanced. Being able to use rechargeable batteries is another good reason to ditch those pricey 9Vs. I'm pretty sure you could even get a 3xAA battery holder in there, if you need more pop and you might be able to use the original LEDs though I remember those as being a bit dim.

9ee41c25.jpg

Back