Crank making noise

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my KK Roaster for a few weeks now and unless I was just giddy about riding it, I'm starting to here the crank "knock" while pedaling under load. At the top of the stroke on the left side it sounds like a popping noise as if someone is lightly tapping the crank with a hammer.

Any ideas on what to check or look for?

Thanks,
Rob

check your bearings and cups...maybe a squared bearing or nicked cup. Clean it all up, check it all out, re-grease and re-assemble if all parts look O K.

Could this be the case even on a new bike? Poor bearing packing...

If so, what grease is recommended? I'm a car guy not a bike guy so greases may be different.

Hey if you never found your noise ,I had the same thing and it about drove me crazy. I changed bearings and I changed the cups ....nothing stopped the clunk. Found out it was the chain ring nut was too loose and it let the chain ring hit against the crank part that sticks into it. Tightened it up solved the problem.

Uncle Stretch said:
Hey if you never found your noise ,I had the same thing and it about drove me crazy. I changed bearings and I changed the cups ....nothing stopped the clunk. Found out it was the chain ring nut was too loose and it let the chain ring hit against the crank part that sticks into it. Tightened it up solved the problem.

Forgive me for my newbie ignorance of bike parts, but which nut is the chain ring nut?

Is it the outside big nut on the left side of the crank?

Thanks,
Rob

You have to pull your crank to get to it . There is a big nut/race that holds the chainring on to the crank. that has to be tight to keep the chainring from banging back and forth. its a simple check. With it still all together ,take a rag and grab the chainring and see it it will move any. like back and forth not sideways.

Latest posts

Back