Crank Bearing ( Bushing ) ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a J.C. Higgins JetFlow. It's the first bike I've bought in 50 years. It's pretty rough, but my plan is to get it rideable by springtime. The rear wheel turned, but barely, so last night I took the hub apart and cleaned and regreased it, and reinstalled it. As I was doing this, I noticed a lot of play in the pedal crank. Are these pedals in bushings or bearings ? I've never had one apart. Anything special I should watch out for as I dig in to this ? Also, is there a place I can still buy this "skip style" chain ? Thanks !
PJB.

Just tighten it up some. All the threads on the crank loosen to the rear of the bike.
The pedals are the same. Just loosen the outside nut on your crank and then tighten
the inner race a little to take the slack out.
They have used skiptooth chains for sale in the for sale section. I don't know of anywhere
that still makes them for sale new.

This is what they look like on your crank. Probably just as dirty. Clean them up and regrease.
Then put it back together.

DSCF0001-131_zps8865007c.jpg

DSCF0002-122_zpsd7ccfbc2.jpg

Just to put a finer point to Uncle Stretches response: That means the threads on the left side are left-handed, reverse of common standard. Also, the left inner race normally takes a tiny amount of play that is taken out when the lock nut is tightened, it might take a couple of tries to get it perfect.

OK, so I have it apart. I will be able to repack and reuse the bearing on the "easy" side, but the bearing on the sprocket side is long gone. Nine of the ten balls were missing, and the race is in many pieces ! Oh Darn :) !
CrankBearings1_zpsc0b4fdc0.jpg

So...can anybody tell me where to buy a bearing that will fit ? Or should I start looking at making a bushing ? Help ! :eek:
Thanks again for your help !
PJB.

Any bike shop has them. The ones for a one piece crank are all the same.
Maybe a member close to you would donate a couple.
Both of those are long gone...get new ones.

There are no bushings in the crank

Back