Craigslist find, pre-pickup ID please JC Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Bike has been purchased and can be seen in Fresh Finds now: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50213

Going to get this bicycle tomorrow, owner knows nothing about it, they say it's JC Higgins, I'm sure they read it somewhere on the bike since they say it was in the shed when they bought the house. Tank, truss rods, fenders, chainguard, what do we know about this bike? Fork may be bent, this is the only photo:

jchig.jpg

Well, since I know the bike must say JC Higgins, I'm not worried about brand, I'm curious about the year, late 50s early 60s?

1955-56 JC Higgins. Found these pictures for you but no real info othere than this. Looks to be the same bike.
The second picture looks like an all original parts bike to me.
higginsfindforrrb2.jpg

higginsfindforrrb.jpg

Thanks guys, I did a little google image research myself, the best thing I realized is that this is not a cantilever frame, which is cool, I've already got canti. I'm going to try picking it up for $40, but I'll have to do 170 miles round trip.

That tank is probably worth $125 to someone if it's not rusted through.
I've got a higgins frame like that that I just built up but mine is a jet flow.

100_1194.jpg

And this is what it is supposed to look like :roll:
jetflow.jpg

From what I can make out in your pic YG, I think it's the European built version from '56, same as the all red one posted above. It has the same chrome cap on the forks, and it kinda looks like the same 3 piece crank. A fairly rare bird, especially w/the tank! -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
From what I can make out in your pic YG, I think it's the European built version from '56, same as the all red one posted above. It has the same chrome cap on the forks, and it kinda looks like the same 3 piece crank. A fairly rare bird, especially w/the tank! -Adam

Thanks, why would it be built in Europe as opposed to the previous year American bike? Where can I get more history on this?

The bike is now in Fresh Finds: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50213

Back