Craigslist Elgin Twin Bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Finally got some pics after the late March blizzard :shock: let up.

I have no idea how to date this bike nor am I confident about which model it is. I'm guessing it's a 4-Star Twin Bar model because it has the rear pod/rack, but no factory-drilled front fender holes for a headlight.

This is the first bike I've owned that I can confidently say the bike looks better in person than the photos, and it rides pretty well. I want to put some new tires on it and ride it as-is, the thing is so naturally ratty I almost don't want to mess with it. My wife is such a bike-snob though, she says she won't ride up to the coffee shop with me with the bike looking like that. I say no bacon-waffles for her then!

I won't lose sleep over it but I would like to find a head shroud and crank pod for it (fat chance right?) And I'd sure like a prettier set of fenders!

One thought I had, I also found a Twin-Flex a while back, having previously seen many photos of Twin-Flexes I had an idea concocted in my head about what such a bike would be like in person. To my surprise, although a Twin-Flex is a big heavy bike it has very little presence in my opinion. It seems small, minimal, unsubstantial, nearly unimpressive.
This Twin Bar on the other hand is HUGE, like, motorcycle huge, although it's only about an inch or two longer than other old bikes it seems enormous, it has an immense presence, I think that's what I most like about the bike.

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

That is a rolling work of art ! congrats on your find !

I love that bike as is.!! I picture a LIME GREEN one with fat WW's.I would want to do that if i had it. 8)

Cool bike as is but I'm picturing one of these with a huge wooden tank that fills the entire frame.

Great find, I just sold some fenders for the bike last week. but I do have a nice original seat for it with the ribbed tabs on the side.

I know exactly what you mean about the size! For some reason that bike just looks huge! Heres my restored '38 to tease a little bit :lol:

twin20.jpg

I bet you sure would like one of these!
twin20shroud.jpg

And one of these!
ElginTwinbarBB.jpg

WOW. near as I can figure, all that thing needs is grips. old ratty ones that go with the rest of the bike. and then it needs to be ridden...

great find!

--rick

Hey Brian! Thanks for the great pics. I don't get a chance to see one of these that's not listed on ebay. Just the way it sits she has a beautiful patina. When I get a bike that looks like that my first thought is imagine how much better it will look all nice and pretty. And my first reaction to the 38' here in your listing is wow, that's purty. The I started bouncing back & forth between the two and I like the patina better. For some reason it makes it look older & more classic. The fenders are the perfect patina match. I would take them off and do some straightening but without hurting the patina. Your bike looks a whole lot better now than in did in the CL pic. Put tires & grips on it and enjoy! Robert

Just found one of these bikes in a garage along with a few others. I was contemplating an offer on it, now that I have seen yours I definitely have to get it. Very cool bike!

Latest posts

Back