couple of spray paint questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I've got a new project to paint. I don't have a spray gun so I'm going to rattle can it. I'd usually go to the local paint store but in this case I want a specific color they don't have which a sort of a dark burnt orange and I want it in flat. I've looked online and found a few places that can do custom paint in spray cans but I don't know anything about them. Anyone have advice on sourcing something like this?

2. Is there anu kind of protective spray on finish for flat paint? I remember back in my plastic model days testors sold a clear coat and a flat coat finish. Wondering if that exists in the big can world.

Thanks!

Hey,

Autobody paint supply places are where you want to go. Most can put any color you want into a can. If you choose a car color that you like, get its paint code and bring it to them, it's easy peasy. Should be around $20 per can. After that you spray it with a matte clear for matte finish or gloss clear if you change your mind. They sell that clear at the same shops too.

Good luck!!

As far as clear coat goes best to use 2 or 3 coats of a gloss clear then a light coat of your matte or flat. That way you avoid the white haze look you would get with multiple coats of a flat.

Check this rattle can out.

They sell it at advanced auto and its called Burnt Copper. VHT makes it. Its a high heat enamel but when clear is set over it, it looks awesome :mrgreen:

Check out Artprimo, Graffiti suppliers http://artprimo.com/catalog/index.php

I've used the - Belton Molotow Premium and that was a satin / flat finish Frame is still hanging so no real time / life report on durabiliy but the colors were nice.
Your mileage may vary
Gizmo

If you should desire a "miles deep" appearance-wise type of clearcoat, look into Dupont Acrylic Clear A-7480S.

Satin colors could you be making on spray can paint by using very fine steelwool at the end, when finished. Let the glossy paint dry , an scuff it wih the wool!

Back