Couple Bike Stories

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day my wife was returning home from a trip and read a sign posted on a fence along the hiway that said "Garage and bike sale".
When she got home she told me about it and said we need to go check it out. She's almost getting as bad as me when it comes to looking for bikes. Anyway we took of to find the place and when we arrived we found out it was actually a "garage and bake sale". She had just misread the sign. I don't know if it was because she read it at hiway speeds or it was wishful thinking.

Today we rented a storage unit to store some bikes as a temporary solution till I figure out something permanent.
Tonight we started hauling bikes over to it. It was hard deciding which bikes to take and even harder to leave them there. Was such a weird feeling just dropping them off like that and leaving them. It's only a mile away but I sill wasn't comfortable with it.

Oh and the wife (Lil Mrs "No More Bikes!") just purchased herself a bike on e-bay.

aka_locojoe said:
The other day my wife was returning home from a trip and read a sign posted on a fence along the hiway that said "Garage and bike sale".
When she got home she told me about it and said we need to go check it out. She's almost getting as bad as me when it comes to looking for bikes. Anyway we took of to find the place and when we arrived we found out it was actually a "garage and bake sale". She had just misread the sign. I don't know if it was because she read it at hiway speeds or it was wishful thinking.

Today we rented a storage unit to store some bikes as a temporary solution till I figure out something permanent.
Tonight we started hauling bikes over to it. It was hard deciding which bikes to take and even harder to leave them there. Was such a weird feeling just dropping them off like that and leaving them. It's only a mile away but I sill wasn't comfortable with it.

Oh and the wife (Lil Mrs "No More Bikes!") just purchased herself a bike on e-bay.

Now that's just funny!
I guess they can be trained... My wife, another "isn't there enough bikes here already" woman most of the time, called me from the thrift shop a couple of weeks ago.."Honey, they have this pretty yellow Schwinn here, and its a tag day, so it's half off. I'm gonna buy it for you." (turned out to be a Collegiate)
I tapped my head to be sure nothing seemed loose, as she hung up. Half hour later, she calls back and tells me "another guy had it on hold, but if he doesn't come back for it in a half hour, I'm gonna get it."

She was VERY disappointed when I got home, and she had to tell me she didn't get it.
A week later, I found the ad for the cycle-truck.... and now you know... the rest of the story! (In my best Paul Harvey imitation)

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere
Idiot Rat Rodder bicycle guy... (per Mr. Ebay guy))

i think i could bring home any bike..... as long as its pink :roll: :mrgreen:

my wifes good to me, she hasnt really complained as long as they stay out of the house, i wonder how many it will take before she does :?: she does ask me "have you seen the one for sale over at .... it looked like one you would like" , shes very good to me :!: :wink:

CCR said:
my wifes good to me, she hasnt really complained as long as they stay out of the house, i wonder how many it will take before she does :?: she does ask me "have you seen the one for sale over at .... it looked like one you would like" , shes very good to me :!: :wink:
mine too! shell even tolerate them in the house while i sit and stare (as long as theyre out by morning) :wink:

Overall my wife is great about it. She tolerates the 30+ bikes we have stored away in every nook and cranny. It just becomes a problem when they are in the way of her getting in and out of her car in the garage or trying to get to things like the mower and weed eater :D

I have a garage,my parents have a huge shop 3 blocks away and I still cant clear out the backyard enough, my wife will look out in the yard and say I thought you had these all organized, my reply is give me an hour they all roll. Unlike when I collected cars, all in all she is very tolerant of the bikes its just the time factor I have a problem with,dont neglect wife that is not good thing.... :mrgreen:

My friend Jon got a Huffy tandem for free, and his wife, who does NOT like the whole bike thing, said "I'm not riding that!" So I gave him ten bucks for it and brought it home. My wife came home from work and I said "hey, I got a new bike". She said "how much did you pay for it" "Ten bucks" "Where did you get the money?" "It was in my wallet" "OK... ooh, it's a two-seater!" So, I think I lucked out on this purchase. It's cheap, and she wants to ride with me. YAY me!

A long time ago when I was throwing out some junk for my parents, I came across an old Campus Green Sting Ray frame and fork. I thought in the event I ever had a son or daughter, that I would save the Sting Ray for them. Sure enough, God blessed me with a son. When he was almost six years old (1995), I thought I would fix up the old Sting Ray for him as a birthday present. Now I hadn't worked on a bike in years at that point and I found a LBS that ordered me some new rims and spokes. I had saved some tires and a seat etc. to put on it prior to that. My son even asked for a bike for his birthday. The wife asked me what we needed to do about getting a bike for his birthday and I told her I had it already and would bring it home on his birthday. I think she had in mind of going to the local massive merchant and putting down 49 credit card dollars for a bike. I told her it was a Schwinn Sting Ray and that he would like it. Now it wasn't the best looking of Sting Rays and yes it did have a wee bit of rust on the front sprocket. I got it all put together and on his birthday she met me in the driveway when I got home to see what I had brought. Her first reaction was "are you going to give him a rusty old bicycle for his birthday?" I told her it would probably be a classic one day. She didn't look too happy. My son took to it and literally rode the wheels off of it for the next two or three years. I recently tuned it up and had to replace the front rim, all the spokes, crank bearings and pedals. He had worn all that out on it.
And hopefully, it will be ready for his son or daughter if the need ever arises. Thanks!!!

cashman said:
A long time ago when I was throwing out some junk for my parents, I came across an old Campus Green Sting Ray frame and fork. I thought in the event I ever had a son or daughter, that I would save the Sting Ray for them. Sure enough, God blessed me with a son. When he was almost six years old (1995), I thought I would fix up the old Sting Ray for him as a birthday present. Now I hadn't worked on a bike in years at that point and I found a LBS that ordered me some new rims and spokes. I had saved some tires and a seat etc. to put on it prior to that. My son even asked for a bike for his birthday. The wife asked me what we needed to do about getting a bike for his birthday and I told her I had it already and would bring it home on his birthday. I think she had in mind of going to the local massive merchant and putting down 49 credit card dollars for a bike. I told her it was a Schwinn Sting Ray and that he would like it. Now it wasn't the best looking of Sting Rays and yes it did have a wee bit of rust on the front sprocket. I got it all put together and on his birthday she met me in the driveway when I got home to see what I had brought. Her first reaction was "are you going to give him a rusty old bicycle for his birthday?" I told her it would probably be a classic one day. She didn't look too happy. My son took to it and literally rode the wheels off of it for the next two or three years. I recently tuned it up and had to replace the front rim, all the spokes, crank bearings and pedals. He had worn all that out on it.
And hopefully, it will be ready for his son or daughter if the need ever arises. Thanks!!!
Thats a great story something you couldnt do with a Wallybike!

Back