Copper Scouring Pad-Chrome Problems

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I noticed my copper scouring pads (like a chore boy...or something) Scratch the chrome on a schwinn breeze. Some thick rust. It only scratched certain pieces, i didnt notice it scratch the sprocket, but it scratched the wheels and it scratched the fenders. On another bike-its got a chrome frame. It doesnt scratch it.

Now-Why is it behaving like this?

Is it because the chrome is older on the schwinn-and the fact that the copper pad isnt really fine...so it scratches?
and it does it with my brass brushes! that never happens!

i would think most scouring pads are too coarse for chrome. also if it is old you will scratch through to the metal. for bad rust i use SOS pads. get it real wet and soapy and have at it. the soap helps keep things smooth and less likely to scratch

One of the best methods of found for cleaning chrome is with a bit of scrunched up aluminium foil(read Aloomunum for my American friends) and some form of lubricant(I have heard that Coca-cola is popular) but I use a commercial brand of polish. Now you would think it might scratch the chrome but NOOOOOO!!!Scrunch up the foil, add some coke or polish and rub the chrome. It works best on relatively rust free chrome.
I have also found that different forms of chrome respond to different forms of treatment so I always test a little area first :eek:

On rusty chrome, I use very fine steel wool, it comes in a big plastic bag, grade 0000. I use it with WD 40, or liquid wrench. I go over the chrome once and let it work in, then hit it again in a hour or so, the rust dissolves and all the chrome comes out nice.

Back