Cool old radio

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I picked up this awesome radio at the local flea market for a few bucks, it doesn't work but I have a friend who works in electronics and if it can't be fixed I will put a speaker in it and use it with my iPhone or other MP3 player. I just thought it was awesome and figured I'd share.

Wow that is a nice one. My grandpa ran a radio repair business during the depression, I have a few of his things. I'm a sucker for old radios!

It looks like a Belmont 6D111. I have a radio just like it. These were made in 1946. The most likely cause of failure would be a bad capacitor. On rare occasions, a tube would fail. This radio, like many others made from the late 30's to the early 50's were called an All-American 5 radio. The 5 tube filaments were connected in series to the 120vac supply voltage. If you replace the capacitors, this radio should give you many years of good service. The capacitors should not be very expensive to replace.

It looks like a Belmont 6D111. I have a radio just like it. These were made in 1946. The most likely cause of failure would be a bad capacitor. On rare occasions, a tube would fail. This radio, like many others made from the late 30's to the early 50's were called an All-American 5 radio. The 5 tube filaments were connected in series to the 120vac supply voltage. If you replace the capacitors, this radio should give you many years of good service. The capacitors should not be very expensive to replace.

You know your radios! I looked on the bottom and it is a Belmont Radio model 6D111 Series 2. I opened it up and the speaker is shot so I might turn it into just a speaker to plug my iPhone into and play music from that. I'll keep the buttons and dial in it though so it maintains the look. Not 100% sure what I will do with it yet.

The van I know I can fix, the radio... not so confident. I can fix bikes though so just change some signage and I'll be in business.

Back