converting a multi speed gear to a single speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
noob question. I was given a 7 speed beach cruiser I want to convert to a single speed with a coaster brake. is it as simple as changing the rear rim or would the rear of the frame be too wide? do I need to narrow the frame to fit the rim ? is it bad to do so if I have to ? thanks everyone..... will post pics next week when I pick it up.....

If it's a 7-speed cruiser, then it's likely an internally geared rear hub? If that's the case, then the width shouldn't be much different from most coaster hubs and you should have no problem swapping out the rim or just the hub.

If it's a 7-speed derailleur, then yes, it'd likely be wider but I don't know that I've ever seen a 1x7 derailleur configuration.

it is an older bike so I am pretty sure it is a 7-10 speed derailleur? I am yet to see it...... could I just narrow the frame some how to fit a reg rear rim or would that effect the frame? if it is too much to deal with then I will just fix it as is but i really wanted a single speed.....

if needed you can space out the rear hub and dish the wheel accordingly, no need to squish the frame. :wink:

Bendix said:
if needed you can space out the rear hub and dish the wheel accordingly, no need to squish the frame. :wink:
awesome!!! spacers might work......

I've done that a few times, steel and aluminum frames. No problem, and I used washers to clear the sprocket on one. They were all originally 7 speeds, derailler type.

If its a 7spd. internal coaster hub you can go with the (high?) gear it defaults to when the shifter cable is off and just change the sprocket to get a ratio you like to pedal.

looks like I might try a Single Speed bicycle freehub conversion kit and keep the handbrakes instead of the coasterbrake......

nrek619 said:
looks like I might try a Single Speed bicycle freehub conversion kit and keep the handbrakes instead of the coasterbrake......

make sure it has a cassette hub and not a thread on freewheel like many derailleur equipped cruisers before ordering that kit... :wink:

Bendix said:
nrek619 said:

make sure it has a cassette hub and not a thread on freewheel like many derailleur equipped cruisers before ordering that kit... :wink:
thanks will do.....learnin as I go....... :)

Back