Converted My Springer to a "Bagger"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well kind of LOL...I cant claim this idea as my own, I got it from a bike group page on FB.

The mod converts a standard Springer front end....

DSCF2711.jpg

to what I want to call a "Bagger" front end...

DSCF2715.jpg

The bike rides so much nicer, it just feels smoother and no longer has the bounce the Springer had.

The kicker here is the "Bag" I used is actually a Kong Extreme dog chew toy. LOL

That stem is what came on the bike new from Giant in 05, bike is a Simple Seven Springer Edition.

LOL @ peanut butter. After riding a bit more it felt pretty soft and then I read where a guy spun the original spring into the Kong Chew toy to stiffen it up so I tried that. Feels better to me and so far I am pretty happy with the mod. The Spring seems to be supporting my weight and the Kong is acting as a shock to provide some dampening to keep the Spring from being so bouncy,,,at least that is how it is playing out in my head LOL

If you couldn't fit the original spring back into the chew toy, a couple of chevy valve springs would probably work too. Just use an old sway bar end link rubber to keep them lined up.

Only time will tell how long it will last, it feels thick and durable but I dont know how well it will hold up to weather and use.

It was a task getting the spring inside of the Kong but a little dish soap on the edge of the Kong helped make it easier to twist the spring inside of the Kong.

This is too funny not to share. I was on my morning ride and stopped in the park the trail goes thru to take a short break. I see a dog chasing birds and he sees me and comes over wagging his tail. The owner say "dont worry he is friendly". Dog comes up I pet him and he is sniffing me and the bike and then he sees the Kong. He starts barking and kind of hunkers down like he is ready to jump and go. The lady says "What is going on" as she is walking over to me. She sees the Kong and starts laughing saying "OMG is that a Kong" Turns out she has one they use a throw toy and the dog was waiting for me to throw the Kong so he could chase after it.

1) Cool idea, and one I'm going to share with a buddy since one of his bikes' springer forks is kind of "bouncy." :113:

2) I laughed way too loud at the "dog waiting to throw the toy" story!

3) As far as "how long will it last?" those things are pretty darn indestructible -- they're made out of what seems to be car tire rubber and DESIGNED to stand up to "powerful chewers." I had a lab/husky mix who apparently thought it was his job to eat toys (and especially Nylabones) but he had had one super-sized Kong for years. Eventually that Kong became an "outside toy" where it laid in the grass, and the snow, and rain and blazing sun for several years. UV rays apparently made the outermost layer start to crack like an old car tire, but I was amazed that it lasted 10 years or more.

So...since dogs won't be playing with that one, spray some Armor All on there once in a while and it should last a long, LONG time!

Last edited:
Back