continuing the lightweight stretch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
truthfully i haven't done anymore yet, but i have a question and figured i might as well transfer the thread and make the question part of the restart.

here is the build start, from the anything goes buildoff

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20639

the fork i used was for another project but i have since then been able to get another, so i can make it a permanent part of this bike

Picture053-1.jpg

the thing is, i don't have much, or any really, experience with a theadless fork like this. before i extend the head tube i need to know how i can clamp it at the top. either find a bike shop that can thread it for me or if someone knows what name or piece i need to ask for to get something to clamp the top and keep the fork in the head tube.

thanks if anyone knows.

Its just a threadless stem part. Instead of going down inside your forks and tightening with a wedge it clamps on top. Your LBS will know. Tell them you want a headset for a ...probably 1 1/8'' threadless fork. Somebody will chime in and give you the correct terms :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
Instead of going down inside your forks and tightening with a wedge it clamps on top.

you mean the goose neck part? what holds the handlebars? actually i want the wedge type. the handlebars are just a small bit out of position and i'm hoping if i can make these forks work like a threaded fork i can put a regular gooseneck in, have it sit a couple inches higher (and further back since the headtube leans back), look for some big alloy cruiser bars (trying to keep with the light weight idea too) and get the 3-5 inches i need to make the riding position better.

here it is lined up with my favorite rider. just a few more inches back is all i need

Picture094-1.jpg

edit:'cause i should have added that the front end was the last thing i worked out and i have some other plans for it that i want the longer headtube for also.

yeah, but i really don't like that look. i mean to go by a tool and die place tomorrow. it just occurred to me to try and find the die and thread it myself. that way if i do anything with the other forks i have i don't have to pay a shop three times to have it done to those too.

Back