Columbia?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie who can use help, but I do already have the passion for classic bikes. I have an old middleweight that I would like to identify, but I also have many questions. The bike has no head badge and no name anywhere. I will post photos if I can. The top rail is actually two tubes. Is that what I have seen referred to as cantilever? It has a serial # on the left lower rail of C181244. The only correlation to that number I have found is that it may be a 1957 Columbia. It has a Styria hub and 26 X 1.75 tires.

Can I mount larger tires on these rims, or any middleweight rims, like size 26 X 2.125? I have read that Schwinn middleweights have odd size tires. I don 't know that this is a Schwinn, but I do have an old Shwinn girls bike that is pretty nasty and I may part out and use the rims on another bike. That brings up the next question, are the old rims safe? If so, can I un-lace them and media blast the rims and then paint or powder coat? I have good mechanical ability, but have never laced a bike wheel.

Let me say also that this bike seems to be past the patina stage, with blue paint over red, just in case someone wonders if I don't appreciate the natural, original, look. I would like to correspond with anyone in the midwest and will watch for future midwest events, swaps, etc. where I can learn.
DSC05125.jpg

Thanks for your patience and in advance for your help!

I agree, it looks like a late 50's early 60's Rollfast or Hawthorne with an older Rollfast sprocket. it looks like a 40's sprocket.

More photos. Does the chainguard look Hawthorne? Will any forks interchange and work on this bike other than Snyder?
Thanks!
DSC05129.jpg

DSC05128.jpg

DSC05127.jpg

Forks from any make that uses a standard U.S. style headset will fit. So Huffy, AMF, Murray, et. al. Just make sure the forks are the proper width for your wheels, and that the steerer tube is not too short (if it is too long you can cut it down, but if it is too short you can't make it longer).

Latest posts

Back