Columbia Sterling......man this is fun!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Well.....my first complete bike disassembly since I was a teenager 30 some years ago. I kept the kid's bikes going when they were younger, but it really amounted to Christmas put togethers and flat tires. I'm not going to try and reinvent the wheel on this one. Just a simple teardown, clean up and reassembly with a few minor mods.

I've acquired 11 bikes in the last several months and decided to start with the Columbia since it still has decent paint and a nice looking cantilevered frame. I'm not sure what year this thing is.......if anyone knows I'd be curious.

Anyways here it is as i got it....

Got started after work one day with a complete disassembly.....then it rained. I decided to work outside so that was the end of the first days work.

After spending tons of time here and feeling confident about the direction I wanted to go with this bike I got started. With some good input in the bobbed fender thread I proceeded to chopping. On my lunch break at work the fenders where cut down and the ends reshaped with a 3M abrasive pad on a die grinder. Taking my time it didn't even burn the paint on top. Not sure if this is how the front fender will stay but I like the rear one.

Back fender....I'm using the section on the left.

I cut the front fender so that the amount sticking out of the front of the forks matches the amount of fender sticking past the frame in the back. Then I recontoured both ends to match the rear section of the back fender. I'll get this mounted up in mock up to see if I like it this way.

Rear fender mocked up...I like it so far.

Started cleaning parts today. I was really amazed at how well the front rim cleaned up. I started with it first since it was in the toughest condition. Wheel acid from work, Mothers mag polish applied with 0000 steel wool and a coat of wax and the front one looks great. Bearings are cleaned and lubed.....one wheel down...one to go!

Couldn't really decide on tires for this bike. After looking at all the great bikes on here the decision was even tougher so I headed out to several bike dealers to see some in person. The last dealer I stopped at sold Trek and Electra Bikes.....some cool looking stuff! I liked the tires on a couple of the Trek bikes and decided on a pair for this build.

Mounted up and ready for install.

A little of where I started and ended.

Big difference

I believe after seeing the picture of the rear fender mounted it needs a more radical contour on the end......as it is mounted and photographed it just looks like a straight chop.

I think the rear fender looks good, go with it. I would maybe run it without a front fender, just have to try it and see.

I love the rear fender as it sits, wouldn't change it at all! I think your bike was probably made between 1957 and 1961.

That's going to be a great looking bike. The paint isn't faded at all.

I like the workbench that clamps on the frame.

Thanks guys. I mocked up the wheels today......rear fender will stay as is. The front fender isn't going to be put on for clearance reasons. These big tires just barely fit the middle weight frame. Back fender clears fine. Ordered a new set of handle bars yesterday and I'm still undecided on a seat and grips.......black, tan or white?

Wildcat said:
I like the workbench that clamps on the frame.

Thats my $5 dollar garage sale Black and Decker Work Mate. It's all I had to work with as a stand......worked out pretty well. If I stay with this I'll probably buy a regular bike repair stand.

I'm definitely diggin' this build! Yours was in much better condition than mine though! They used some cheap chrome in the 60s... I don't think anything chrome was salvageable on the Rat-Ster. I started mine around this time last spring, just a spare time project. I have a 24" rim laced up for the rear, just have to true it. ~Adam
SUNP0031.jpg

Not a lot of progress. I did get the rear rim cleaned, polished, waxed and the new tire mounted. Couldn't resist just sticking it together to get an idea of what it was going to look like. Things are really cleaning up nicely for a nearly 50 year old bike. On to the sprocket, crank and few other chrome pieces and then polish all the painted stuff up. As long as my handle bars come in I plan on riding it this weekend. Already thinking about the next few projects.

Well I spent some time today and finished up the Columbia. Had some great help from my grandson.......19 months old and he was just consumed with what I was doing. After watching for a while he even figured out how the wrench worked. Glad the camera was close by.

I think he was trying to tell me to scrap the kick stand!

GREAT looking bike!

Just a few more of the grandson.......I sat down in the driveway to snap a few pictures and just as I was about to shoot the first one this head pops up.

Sadly those big fat Bontrager's didn't make the cut on this middle weight bike. With the chain adjusted the rear was against the frame on both sides. I was going to clearance them but decided to just throw on a set of Kenda's I had. Doesn't give the same great look but I was trying to keep in mind this was really just an excersie to get my bicycle feet wet again. I'll be cutting a few up in the near future. I used the original seat for now but it's like sitting on plywood........bike rides nice though. I think I'm going to stick with a white seat, but something newer. Felt has one I like. Pictures turned out pretty crappy. I was loosing the daylight. I'll shoot a few more tomorrow.

A picture of the next project in line....gonna follow the same theme. Just a disassemble and clean. Think the Schwinn purist will moan when I take off the racks and bob the fenders?

KOTA said:
GREAT looking bike!

Thanks...I was really amazed at how well it cleaned up and polished out. It was down right ugly when I started.

deorman said:
Classic look with the more traditional tire size, very cool. As for the other, you could store them for posterity, and use what's left from the first one. :|

It will be up to my wife if the fenders and racks are on or left off. If she doesn't want them on it I'm going to cut an off brand chrome fender for the back and use the racks on a Panther III that is missing it's racks.

Back