Columbia repop frame build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I picked this frame up at the vintage bike swap here in Boise. The guy thought it was a Columbia repop. I liked the frame regardless of the make and the price was right. The frame is bare metal and you can see the brazed joints. Might spray clear or rub with an oil of some sort. I like the naked look.

I am going to use the Kona Project 2 fork(very light) and some cool bars that I got from a trade with my twin brother. The rest is up in the air. Maybe a 52 tooth chainring for high speeds. I think 700c x 38 wheel/tire combo will fit in the rear and I know it will fit the fork. NYCBikes sells a 700c coaster brake wheelset that would work great, but more than I want to spend.

I put a 24x3 just to see how it looks for now, while I am gathering parts.

0620072246.jpg

0620072247b.jpg

Yes, almost the same just 30 years newer I think. Do you have a kickstand picture? Mine came without the kickstand and I was thinkin of just cutting/grinding off the mount and filling with bondo to make it disappear.

By the way, you did amazing work to your frame with the disk brake mount and bottom bracket mod.

Clancy

I do not have a kickstand on mine. I am not a big fan of kickstands :). Thanks for the compliments on mine. Can't wait to see where you go with yours. Always fun to see someone elses vision on the same bike.

cman,
Can you post a picture of your k'stand mount? I am curious as to what it looks like. I don't mind a kickstand if it doesn't rattle and fall into the wheel or pedals. I would say my bikes are about 60/40 kickstand to no kickstand.

Aaron 8)

Aaron I will post the pic tomorrow. I was working on it tonight and decide to leave the mount for now. Much easier,besides you can't see it from the pretty side of the bike.

Couple of funky things with this frame.

- Bearing races for the BB seem to built into the frame.
- I had to try 4 different sizes of bearing cups and bearings to find the proper size for the headset/fork.

cman said:
- Bearing races for the BB seem to built into the frame.
- I had to try 4 different sizes of bearing cups and bearings to find the proper size.

Grind..Grind..NOPE,not that one

Grind ..Grind..NOPE ,not tha one either

Chicka Clunk..Chika Clunk...Nope,not that one.

I've been there before Clancy!!! :roll:

heres mine its 24" and I don't know what year either..same place swapmeet

IMG_0033a.jpg
8) 8)

Outsider great bike with the 24/26 combo.

Aaron- here is the pic of the kickstand mount.

0622072018.jpg

Took the bike for a test ride tonight and it rides great. I poached the fat and slick Richey Mobey tires off the Xtracycle. Post pics later.

cman said:
Outsider great bike with the 24/26 combo.

Aaron- here is the pic of the kickstand mount.

Took the bike for a test ride tonight and it rides great. I poached the fat and slick Richey Mobey tires off the Xtracycle. Post pics later.

Thanks cman...that thing is HUGE! :shock: I was thinking it was one of those little flat plate thingies. I was going to cut mine off until I realized it also was the rear fender mount and probably helps stabilize the frame. :? and in stripping paint the clowns that built the frame apparently over heated and blew a hole in the tube where it mounts...oh well that is what JB Weld if for :lol:

Aaron 8)

with those Poker Straight Forks it could look VERY GOOD,
if you where to Slam the Seat and do a Drop Bar set up.

I personally Love those dead straight Forks,
and they look great with Drop Bars and Struts / Truss

I Love it the way it is as well!

Kev.

Kev,

I might try some flipped bars for fun. Dunno if I can put on a truss. As for the seat, how do you ride with dropped seats? I think my knees would be bumpin my chin. As is, it is pretty short for my legs.

I was going to leave unpainted but I saw a color today that will be sweet. Now I have to see if I can find it besides on the ladies shirt were I saw it.

Put a new 50t chainrings on a top speed is perfect. I tried flipped bars and slammed seat. Looks cool......I prefer it the other way for functionality.

But here is a pic in that mode

0627072010.jpg

I did a Kev straw-job to paint the rims. I figure rims have been painted red and black but I have yet to see Orange. Also painting some orange strips on the bare metal frame.

0628072320.jpg

Back