Columbia Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maddogrider said:
I think the rack would look better on it if you could take out that middle fender bracket. 8)

I agree totally the straight line next to that really cool curve hits me funny....

i like a full dress bike with big fenders and a rack ....yeah not sure if either chain gaurd works .. they are really nice parts .. but do they work with the new frame lines? I wounder if you could mimic the top tub holes somewhere else like on the fender peaks .. maybe difficult to pull off but it would bring it all together.. just a thought .. looks awesome, cant wait to see what you do next...

I got the frame back from my friend John who TIG welded it for me. He had a heck of a time due to the different types of tubing used but it came out fine. Thanks John! Tonight, Magic Rat is coming over to help me get it ready for flat black powder coating at my cousins shop http://eastcoastcustomcoatings.com/ We have to fit the front fender, break down the springer, remove the kick stand, and a couple of other odds and ends. Here are some pics of the frame.
IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

I still cannot get the kickstand off. I do not see any pin on the chainring side anywhere no matter what position the kickstand is in. The cover is thin metal and I'm afraid if I try to pry or tap it off I will damage it. Can anyone give me more precise information on how to remove it?

Kickstand came off easier than I thought it would. I had to get the metal cap off by hitting it with a piece of wood and a hammer. I didn't damage it at all. Then there's a simple snap ring to take off and the whole kick stand slides right out. The bike is being powder coated right now.

WOW! I'm impressed with the job my Cousin did with the powder coating. It looks fantastic, thanks Pete! Here are a couple of pics just to show off the new colors. Hopefully I'll have time to do some assembly later in the day.
IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

Verry cool man. Is the powder coating real thick do you have to scrape some out to get the bearing cups in? Just woundering i have never had a bike powder coated before.

The area's where you do not want the powder coat can be masked off with high temperature masking tape and that's what he did. Unfortunately I did not have time to work on the bike today.

I got some work done on the bike today. I cleaned up all the parts I'm going to use and started putting some of it together. It turns out the chrome under all the grey primer isn't in very good shape. I also ran into a little problem finding enough screws to hold the fenders on. They are #12-24. I've never even heard of a 12-24! Now I have to go to Home Depot to see if they have any because all the hardware stores are closed. I will probably end up having to search for them tomorrow. Here are some pictures of the progress.
IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

Looks great all powdered up. Can't wait to see the final pics. Some pinstripes may look good to go along with the soft tank.

Pinstripes are definitely going to happen on this bike cman. Did anybody notice that in my haste I put the forks together backwards? :oops: :lol: Here are two more shots of the late evening progress. Home Depot actually had 12-24 screws in assorted lengths! :D
IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

OK, She's on the ground now! Pictures are bad because it was dark out. Still no chain, or cables so I couldn't ride but I did roll around on it on the driveway and it felt real good. Some daytime photo's will do it justice. I also need to polish up the handlebars and put some grips on it and probably a dozen more things I'm forgetting. The last step will be the pinstriping but I'm not doing that so It doesn't count :wink:
IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

Trek made those either 2004 or 2005, very expensive at the time like $1000 for a cruiser from what I remember. They were definitely AL framed, I think the full name was Trek Rail CNC been searching for one on the cheaps, not many made only one to a dealer type deal.

Oh, it's a cruiser? I thought it was 20". I got the chain, brake and shifter cables installed last night and took it for a ride. I'm very happy with the way it rides. This bike is going to be allot of fun! :D The only problem I did have is with the seat post. After going over a couple of decent size bumps the thing bent like a wet noodle. :( I took it out and put in a straight one until I figure out what I want to do with it.

Back