Columbia playbike questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ive been a member here for a long time I got started on 2 projects i have owned the playbike since i was a kid. and i also have a beach cruiser. Well on to the questions. Can the frame be welded on i want to weld up the headbadge holes and maybe make some frame braces out of metal rod and or sheet metal. I also was thinking this bike would look great with a 3 speed Can this be done ? what parts would i need to use even if i need to modify them. i need to change the rims to new ones anyway the originals are pitted and rusty. The back tire and rim will be changed to a slick. Can i find one on an auction site ? or here ? The last question ...for now :D is how wide of a slick will fit on it i know the schwynn chopper tires out now are too fat. Thanks for any help I can post pics of what i have to work with if that would help. i'll have to figure out rim and tire sizes also and post them here. Thanks again Rob.

I had a 3 speed Playbike sport as a kid... looked like this one but had a 333 instead of the pie tin.. I stacked it into a parked Montego and had to part it out...... :cry:

sportracer2_2.jpg

Mine was pearl orange I'll have to post pics of what i have. my seat was is different your bike has the shifter thats great ! it means there is hope for my bike getting one. I also have a 42 ? inch sissy bar on mine it looks like a truck ran it over i could just buy one and slap it on but im working on making a new custom one today with metal rod. I hope i can make it work we'll see lol. The chrome on mine is pretty much shot and the front forks look like harley front forks. I really need to post pics. I would either have to have them rechromed or paint the ones i have i dont want to change them to aftrmarket forks. Although im modifying the bike i dont want to change some of the existing parts like those. Im gonna try and post pics now we'll see if it works. Thanks for the pic of yours it will be good for reference while im building this one.

ooohhh. those were the premium bars!! that meant your dad, while still too cheap for a real stingray actually popped for the cool model!! :lol: :lol:

heres a good pic of one I just found :shock: not sure thats the right sissy bar tho, I remember the triple tree bikes had a crazy bent up one on em for some reason

bikefull.jpg

Thanks for the pics! im gonna have to make my own sissy bar that thing is too low. :lol: Thats even close to the same color mine seems to be a bit darker it may be age. Love my front forks i just wish the chrome was better. Im thinking i'll paint mine for now till i can afford the chrome I also sleeved the part of the forks where the headlight will go with copper tubing over the crappy chrome. i can polish and clear the copper or just let it weather and look old. I'll be adding copper brass nuts and bolts wherever i can to give it an ol school look.

Back