Columbia 61 Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is my first project. Picked this guy up off eBay for 40.00 figured it would be a good project as it was in decent condition to begin with. Here is the before:

P1010495-1.jpg

Once I got it home I stripped down the entire bike to the bare frame. I wasnt sure what to do with the tank / chainguard as the graphics were so cool and I couldnt replicate the graphics so I just cleaned it up and then cleared it and it came out pretty nice with the origional patina. I did paint the frame and rims with help from the forums here. Everything else got cleaned and shined up with the buffing wheel. The rear wheel wasnt working with the coaster brake so did have to strip it apart and clean out 50yrs of grease and gunk and now its running good as new. I also got reproduction graphics for the frame they turned out really good.

The tires on now are temporary as I ordered white walls but they arent in yet. I did pick these up cheap but they were too big to run with the fenders. I will make the call on what tires stays when it comes in. The grips are temp and I will be adding a white chain.

Here is the after let me know what you guys think. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look!!!

P1010514-1.jpg

P1010515-2.jpg

P1010516-2.jpg

Thanks tried to do a lil something different. It was alot better then the solid rust they started out to be. And more cost effective than buying new.

Hey, I've got one of those, it came with a bunch of bikes that were in a barn that I bought as a group. Mine's a bit rougher than yours though. If you're willing to part with the fenders, send me a PM... :mrgreen:

Back