Colubia Firebolt Extreme Makeover 8 speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my build thread for A Columbia Firebolt turned into 8 speed Klunker with all modern components.
P1000234.jpg

P1000242.jpg

bought this stuff
P1000345.jpg

Hemisphere tires, Nexus 8 redband coaster, Mavic rims, Brave Stiffe handlebars and a Civia Loring fork. The fork is for cyclocross and has a low axle to crown length, 395, which is tough to find.
P1000347.jpg

Wasn't too hard to fit the 1 1/8 fork. I used loose bearing and the aluminum shim thing for the top race. We'll see how it holds up. Gonna build up the rear wheel today, will update. Tank and fenders may or may not stay.

Re: Colubia Firebolt goes Special Ops Klunker

Laced up the wheel last night at my sister's house, for some reason she has a nice park tool truing stand.
P1000352.jpg

It's heavier than I expected even with the aluminum rims. Overall I was hoping to lighten up the bike but it will probably be the same weight when I'm done.
Pulled the cranks off a BMX and put a Schwinn chainring on it
P1000353.jpg

Here's the BMX trash find, it's a Free Agent, pretty nice stuff on it,
P1000354.jpg

P1000348.jpg

waiting for the shifter and a couple more parts coming from Tree Fort bikes.

those are the kind of bike you find n the trash?! oh come on! I pay five bucks for a rusty huffy girls 20" off the back of a scrap truck! and you find that?! :mrgreen:

The BMX was thrown out after someone stole the handlebars. I had my eye on it then one day it was just unlocked with the trash. It even has the headset bolt allowing a brake cable to go internal through the fork.

Re: Colubia Firebolt Black Ops Klunker

The fork isn't working out too well, should have looked at the rake before i bought it. Steering is way off, unpredictable and clumsy. Here's the bike the fork was made for.
picture-2.png

Guess the geometry of this townie cruiser thing is a little different than the Columbia. Whatever the case this fork ain't working.

P1000371.jpg

Tried out another mtb fork and the handling got better. Still some headset issues between the 1 inch frame and 1 1/8 fork. The bottom race work flawless with fork race, original cup and loose bearings. The top is a problem. Gonna grind down the frame to fit the 1 1/8 cup, wish I could have avoided this.

Headset was still giving me trouble. Plus the fork steerer was grinding a bit where the frame tubes connected. Grinded the frame some more and fit a 1 1/8 race onto the top, bottom is still a mix of 1 inch and 1/18 inch.
Trying this Origin Cromo Lite fork out. Less rake, though I like the looks of that straight Civia fork better. The handling is still taking some time to get used to either way.
P1000378.jpg

Picked up this 13/16 cromo seat tube from Pork Chop BMX, they shipped it really fast. 15 bucks, but you can clamp down on it hard without it getting out of shape. Worthwhile upgrade.
P1000377.jpg

The Columbia updated finally with the Nexus 8. So much fun to ride with gears. It's heavy silent fast.
Fitting the fork was a process. I rode the bike for a few days, steering was all over the place. Horrible like your headset is way too tight. The fork's steer tube was catching on a couple spots inside the frame on the welds. Took alot of grinding, spinning, using spray paint, checking for scratches on the fork, more grinding, more spray paint. Finally the fork spins free without binding, scratching and catching. I hope i didn't compromise the frame too much here. But it steers fine now, no hand, no problem goes straight.
Coaster brake on this nexus hub is actually too strong, kinda dangerous in rain , wet, but its wearing in a bit. It locks up with a flick, no force.
So here it is now. All the labels blacked out, or scratched off. I had some flat black vinyl wrap from work that covered the seat post and hubs pretty well.

P1000458.jpg

Gonna upgrade the crank and bb, but I like these bmx ones b
P1000469.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

P1000464.jpg

P1000463.jpg

P1000462.jpg

Getting the nexus adjusted properly is a little tricky, but things could always be worse
IMG_0189.jpg

Still messing around with the chainguard, this Sears one may have a future here.
P1000472.jpg

P1000474.jpg

A photo of the BB adapter and a seat post thing, the Robo Clamp. I want to upgrade the cranks and bottom bracket. It will be expensive and not a major improvement. But I'm going all out here as you can tell. The Robo clamp is a the little quill thing that functions as your seatpost guts but give you the micro adjustments. Only problem is it only fits a 7/8 post, or like a 19mm opening. The one I have widens a bit at the top from 13/16 to 7/8 but not quite enough for the clamp. Guess I could bring it to a machine shop and have it put on a lathe but that's a hassle. Maybe just grind it down?

Re: Colubia Middleweight Klunker Bonanza

Problem solved with the Robo Clamp seatpost adapter. The bike shop had a wald, 13/16 to 7/8 post. A little persuasion with the grinder and the clamp fits perfect. Micro Adjust! I don't know why no one else makes this kind of part, perhaps it doesn't hold up too well.
P1000626.jpg

Had to get a little creative to fit the fender brace around my disc brakes.
P1000622.jpg

Next thing to do is replace the cranks, Leaning towards the Shimano Deore, about 75 bucks with the external BB.

Re: Colubia Firebolt Hi Tech Klunker

A little hacksaw work on the Alfine shifter. The display and triggers were so clunky, taking up too much handlebar space.
P1000630.jpg

P1000629.jpg

P1000627.jpg

Re: Colubia Firebolt Hi Tech Klunker

Got the fenders on, middle weight and 2.00 tires didn't want to play nice. Extended the braces and got it to fit. The Chrome is a nice offset to all the black, but I'm not feeling them 100%, any opinions?
P1000638.jpg

P1000633.jpg

Here's a shot of that Sears chainguard, painted black. Looks ok, I like the fact that it's long. Not as sturdy as the Schwinn ones I had on before. That's 1 1/8 chain stainless steel, tight fit for the Nexus, had to flip the sprocket around for it to clear the hub.
P1000639.jpg

Some action pics. I do roadside repairs here in NYC for pedicabs, flat fix, brakes, lights, ect. ect. so the milk crate, don't knock it, it's my tool box.
IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

The Shimano crank and external bb is now installed. The American to euro bb converter had to basically cut cut in half, as it wouldn't press all the way into the frame. At that point the 3 screws that pull both side together didn't reach so I had to set/ recess them a few mm's deeper. More butchering.
P1000728.jpg

P1000730.jpg

The cranks now cost more than the frame, :wink: :shock: :cry: Guess I've now built a decent quality mountain bike with internal gears on 50 year old mid weight cruiser. It rides like a a very relaxed and quiet mtb. Doesn't really corner fast with the long wheel base, you gotta really pull it around some turns. But it dips nice, tires grip, and the pedals have a lot of ground clearance. Potholes, road work, cracks, cave ins, meatal plates, sewers, she can handle. Between the tires, the frame and making the bike being lighter, it's really nice over bad roads. Good city bike, for me it's the right combination between fun, fast and comfortable.

Thanks bro, the rack can probably handle 200 pounds. The bike is now at the point of diminishing returns, so it's basically done. I bought a bashguard from BBG. At my door in a few days, it's hard to find one cheaper, think this was 18 bucks with shipping. Not a single bike store in NYC had a bashguard in stock. I don't think it's for hardcore usage or anything, but I just needed a cover. Not sure about using a chainguard now.
P1000755.jpg

Latest posts

Back