Collegiate "Dropout"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm starting a new build, it will be a slow steady process. Decided to turn my Schwinn Collegiate into a stretched out bobber. I don't know what year it is, if anyone could help me figure it out that'd be great! Originally, I was going to do this to my Stingray, but I felt wrong for cutting up a perfectly good Stingray, so it's saved lol.

20120915_113132.jpg

Last weekend I went to a car swap meet on a lookout for a headlight, tail light, and CA motorcycle license plate. No luck on the plate, but I did snatch up my headlight and tail light!

The headlight is vintage, I was told it came off of a 32' Chevy. I looked it up and the lights don't match. Anyone recognize what car it belonged to? It's definitely a fog light/secondary light because it's too small for a car head light but perfect size for a bicycle light :) I do know it's from the 20's or 30's because it's a square bolt and flat lense.

20120925_115050.jpg

20120925_115103.jpg

As for my tail light, it's also vintage, but an aftermarket. It's from an old mud flap, i'll obviously be taking it off, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I just love the mini crown, like the 59' Caddy tail lights but smaller :)

20120925_115016.jpg

I have this build all planned out, now I just need to get started! I have a lot of cutting/welding ahead of me! And if anyone has a vintage CA motorcycle license plate that you would like to sell please message me :D

Re: Collegiate Bobber Build (need a name!)

The bike should have a number on the lower part of the head tube under the nameplate, or it's on the left dropout by the rear axle. That number will give the month and year of manufacture. Post it here and someone will check it. It's probably a late 70's early 80's Chicago made bike, back when they were American made.

Since it's a Collegiate, I would name it "The Dropout" when you make it a stretched out bobber.

I like the "Dropout" name.
I love that mudflap. If I were you I would consider using it. Since you are making a bobber, you could have a set of fender stays jutting out horizontally from the drops and mounting the mudflap (with light) there. Just a thought. :idea:

EDIT: I have a better idea. You take the light and sell me the mudflap. 8) I would love to build a Spinal Tap Big Bottom bike.
"Big Bottom Big Bottom, talk about mudflaps, my gal's gottem,,,,,How can I leave this behind?"

Wildcat said:
The bike should have a number on the lower part of the head tube under the nameplate, or it's on the left dropout by the rear axle. That number will give the month and year of manufacture. Post it here and someone will check it. It's probably a late 70's early 80's Chicago made bike, back when they were American made.

Since it's a Collegiate, I would name it "The Dropout" when you make it a stretched out bobber.

Hmm actually right on the name plate theres "1179" stamped into it, maybe that's the month and year?
Lol i like that, the Dropout.. it's a maybe :)

bike2112 said:
Ohhhh, please dont chop that frame. Those Schwinn Camelback frames are awesome as they are. :cry: :cry: But, if you do decide to bobber it out, "Collegiate Dropout" is solid name.

Sorry man, but it was between this or my Stingray, and the Stingray is in nice condition so I can't chop it up! Don't worry though i won't do a hack job, it'll come out clean :D Ha I like Collegiate Dropout, that's pretty funny

kingfish254 said:
I like the "Dropout" name.
I love that mudflap. If I were you I would consider using it. Since you are making a bobber, you could have a set of fender stays jutting out horizontally from the drops and mounting the mudflap (with light) there. Just a thought. :idea:

EDIT: I have a better idea. You take the light and sell me the mudflap. 8) I would love to build a Spinal Tap Big Bottom bike.
"Big Bottom Big Bottom, talk about mudflaps, my gal's gottem,,,,,How can I leave this behind?"

Yeah so do I, the vote may win for Dropout :) Good thought, but I think the mudflap may look too big, i'm going to attach the light to the side of the rear rim, just like you would see it mounted on an actual bobber motorcycle with a license plate under it :)
Haha you could have it cause I definitely won't use it, I may take the other tiny reflectors off though

can you put something in the pic with the headlight .. so we can get a size ref... are you going to run skinny or fat tires?

Oh cool, thanks Ratina!

Here's the size comparison.. the other headlight is just an aftermarket Nirve light

20120925_142810.jpg

The vintage headlight has no stamps of letters or number on it either..
Oh and I will be running 80mm in the front with 100mm rims in the rear :) Antique white Thick Brick Tires

bike2112 said:
Ohhhh, please dont chop that frame. Those Schwinn Camelback frames are awesome as they are. :cry: :cry: But, if you do decide to bobber it out, "Collegiate Dropout" is solid name.

That IS a very nice frame, it does seem a shame to chop it. I'm sure you'll do it justice though :)
It looks similar to my raleigh Bomber frame:
myraleighbomber.jpg

You've got some nice parts there to work with too. I love that headlamp with the crest/ridge on it 8)

Little_Will said:
bike2112 said:

That IS a very nice frame, it does seem a shame to chop it. I'm sure you'll do it justice though :)
It looks similar to my raleigh Bomber frame:

You've got some nice parts there to work with too. I love that headlamp with the crest/ridge on it 8)

Lol yes to some people it is a nice frame, to me it's boring ha. I don't like how the down tube is straight,I prefer the tubes to have a cruve in em, so i'll be putting a curved one there :) that is a pretty similar frame.. Thanks, i loved the ridge on my headlight too! So i had to buy it lol

kustomkulturebabe said:
Lol yes to some people it is a nice frame, to me it's boring ha. I don't like how the down tube is straight,I prefer the tubes to have a cruve in em, so i'll be putting a curved one there :) that is a pretty similar frame.. Thanks, i loved the ridge on my headlight too! So i had to buy it lol

I feel you on the straight downtube!
It's your build, so do it your way.
It's gonna have cool pedals for sure!!! :p

kingfish254 said:
kustomkulturebabe said:

I feel you on the straight downtube!
It's your build, so do it your way.
It's gonna have cool pedals for sure!!! :p

Heck yes it will! :D Can't wait to see em!

Shaping up to be a nice build....I like the lights and your plans for Thick Bricks. 8)

You should post the serial number anyway. That will tell for sure. Who knows, the headbadge might have been changed. This build is going to completely eclipse your other one, I feel. You're starting with a cool frame and even better possibilities.Plus it sounds like you're going full custom on this one. Maybe add a ribcage like my "full custom". Sorry for the night shot, but I just built new handlebars and hadn't taken a newer pic until now.
SANY0792.jpg

ozzmonaut said:
You should post the serial number anyway. That will tell for sure. Who knows, the headbadge might have been changed. This build is going to completely eclipse your other one, I feel. You're starting with a cool frame and even better possibilities.Plus it sounds like you're going full custom on this one. Maybe add a ribcage like my "full custom". Sorry for the night shot, but I just built new handlebars and hadn't taken a newer pic until now.

Okay not sure if this is the serial number but i found it stamped into the neck.. KP539183 .. Yeah pretty much lol my other build was just a quick, mild kustom with bolt on parts lol i've been wanting to build an awesome stretcher so here is the beginning of it! Woah your bike is crazy and that ribcage is sweet, never seen that before.. I'm going to build a tank for this bike, it'll sit underneath the top tube just like a regular bicycle tank and putting a tube underneath it..

Glad you like them. Cool trading with you.

Back