coaster brakes: overhaul or not? *Update*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(again, i warn you of my lack of slick bike lingo and tech knowledge. don't hate. i have best intentions and make up for it in gungo-ho enthusiasm!)

trying to decide if i need to overhaul the coaster break hub thingy. bike is a 1940ish ladies Elgin. how hard do you need to slam back the pedals to stop? Originally i would brake and stop in about 10 feet. made sure that clippy thing with the elgin logo was on there good & tight and it improved but it's not like I'm gonna stop on a dime. So now I am wondering if i want to overhaul the thing or if it's a matter or 1940s engineering vs 2010s expectations?

it does seem like a daunting task but I'd rather do it now while the bike is in pieces not once it's all painted, assemebled and lovely.

thanks!
(Btw - just wondering if i am the only spastic chick on this forum or just the only one that sounds that way! lol)

Re: coaster brakes: overhaul or not?

If you have it apart to paint it.. I would re-grease everything that takes grease.. :p

Is the hub an old one, or a recent replacement? If the cones are adjusted properly, with very little back and forth play, yet the wheel rolls freely, then maybe it just needs a little oiling, or it's just worn out. Sometimes the old ones get the grease caked up and that will effect the braking. Can you post up a pic? Then we'll know if it's worth working on.

If you are wanting to learn then by tear it apart and if you are not sure if you can figure out how to put it back together then take pictures while you are taking it apart so you can have a reference to where everything goes. Taking it apart and cleaning it out and regreasing everything will probably make it better in the long run anyways

Since they haven't made any Elgins since before WW2 ,and hardly anybody ever goes to the trouble to take them apart and clean them.....it probably needs it. There are a bunch of pictures posted around to show you how they go back together. Its probably caked with something inside that use to be grease. The fun about old bikes is taking everything apart and cleaning...painting...changing old stuff. If you get stuck there are plenty of people here to help you get it back together, especially since your a girl dragon. Sorry I like Shrek. Take it apart and soak it in something like paint thinner....brush it some to get rid of all the junk, re grease it and put it back together. Probably will work fine. :wink:

There are several girls on the forum...they chime in from time to time. :wink:

Elgins used musselman hubs.They work similer to Morrow and bendix--If for some reason the hub is New Departure it will have a bunch of Brake Disks.All American coaster hubs are simple to work on.Take your time---search the web should be instructions on how to overhall.and old american hubs were built better than most new imports so well worth the time--velosteel is the only modern coaster hub built to 'old' standards.(IMO)

ok, here's some pix. what does this tell you?

i'm always up for a good project I just have SO much going on that i was kinda trying to barrel through. i guess i better take my time and sit down and do the job right. I'm eager to gitter done and be able to ride it though! (and it's my first fixer upper bike and i have some fun ideas of what i will do... )

i'll have to go write up an intro if i get a minute too...

k, pix:
brakes2-1.jpg

brakes3-1.jpg

brakes4-1.jpg

brakes1-1.jpg

Trust me bro, you want to slow down and do it right, make sure all those bearings have grease and everything is tight before you ride it. One part not in it's place could ruin other parts and cause a serious cramp in your style. Ask yourself where would I find a part for the rear hub if it should break? Simple answer....you probably won't find it.......and if you do it's gonna be expensive. Just take your time and know when you do get to ride it it will be perfect.

outskirtscustoms said:
Trust me bro...
Don't you mean sis? :lol: but anyways, I agree with what you said 100%...I wasted a good part because I was careless & too in a hurry :cry:

vibr8shun said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Trust me bro...
Don't you mean sis? :lol: but anyways, I agree with what you said 100%...I wasted a good part because I was careless a too in a hurry :cry:
Ooops, sorry sister

outskirtscustoms said:
vibr8shun said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Trust me bro...
Don't you mean sis? :lol: but anyways, I agree with what you said 100%...I wasted a good part because I was careless a too in a hurry :cry:
Ooops, sorry sister

:roll:

yeah, i'm gonna check it out. i tend to rush things and want results now lol

That hub is called an elgin air cooled(because of the fins) and they are only for looks---it's a musselman hub.These old hubs had very hard steel and it should be good with a good cleaning(I use charcoal starter fluid as a cleaner because it's easy to find)You can get a hub overhall book on the CABE web site
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/content.ph ... CYCLE-HUBS
well worth the price if your into classic bicycles.---sam

And you've got your feet in the pic. I guess you're one of the gang now.

frameteam2003 said:
That hub is called an elgin air cooled(because of the fins) and they are only for looks---it's a musselman hub.These old hubs had very hard steel and it should be good with a good cleaning(I use charcoal starter fluid as a cleaner because it's easy to find)You can get a hub overhall book on the CABE web site
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/content.ph ... CYCLE-HUBS
well worth the price if your into classic bicycles.---sam

zoinks, kinda pricey for me right now :( maybe someone on here wouldn't mind scanning and emailing the pages i need for a cheaper $$ (i got paypal a few bux over for the effort) ?

oh and starter fluid?!? that can't be healthy to play with! i do have some kind of bike degreaser spray, who knows what kind of toxic brew that is I guess :p

Wildcat said:
And you've got your feet in the pic. I guess you're one of the gang now.

that's all it takes, eh? :lol:

i was holding the wheel with my knees, total doofus that i am!

Somehow or another that has become the inside joke here...especially if you happen to be wearing black and white Vans when you take the shot.

I'd say though that you've already earned our respect by being willing to tear into a vintage bike coaster hub. :wink:

ok boys... i decided to go for it :) A glass of wine, a little music and alot of engine cleaner...

here's the goopy mess i found inside
hub1.jpg

and after some cleaning. at this point i used engine degreaser and rinsed them. After the photo I used orange cleaner and a toothbrush amd more rinsing
hub2.jpg

then i greased it, put it back together and tried it out. seems to work well, better than before but i couldn't ride it because i took the tires off already
hub3.jpg

now i can get back to sanding and priming!

ok, give me your opinion here: the hub has some crusty silver spray paint on it. i am not going for a major restoration here, just want to have it working well and looking good. I am painting the rims and spokes red (w/fat whitewalls - i love that look!) Would I be commiting a crime against nature if i paint the crusty hub red too? it can always be stripped and chromed in the future right? whatdya think?

Back