COASTER BRAKE HUB EXPERTS, PLEASE HELP!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an idiot and took apart the hub of my 1947 CCM Roadster thinking it would be a wise idea. Now i can't get the bloody thing back together. Not a big deal, just look for another cheap wheelset, right? Well, I would, but a 28" coaster brake wheel is .... near impossible to find. I took the wheel to a bike shop thinking that they would be able to assemble it for sure, but the tech there gave me a flat out "no". He told me he couldn't do it. And this was a bike shop that are supposedly "wheel experts". I do not want to just call it quits on this bike as i've put a ton of work into already and my girlfriend would be sad as heck cause i'm building the bike for her. Can anybody here help me out or point me in the direction of somebody who can? Please and thank you!!

It just takes a few tries to figure it out, maybe. Make sure you have the hub the right direction. The way to do that is to try it both ways.

What kind of hub is it? We might be able to find a diagram for it.

Better yet, post a pic or two.

In the world of 21st century bicycle shops I would not expect "wheel experts" to necessarily equate with "antique coaster brake hub experts", but that's just me....

As Wildcat suggested, post a pic or at least give us a clue as to brand- somebody here will find a link to a diagram or offer a hint. If it came outta there it'll go back in. :wink:

Pictures as requested! Just click on thumbnails to make em bigger

I've searched everywhere for a diagram but couldn't come up with anything. It is a CCM hub from Canada and it has "37" on it which is the date it was patented. I managed to find the patent in PDF form but that didn't give me any info on how it was assembled :cry:

Hub shell with some sort of gear built right in

Other side of hub shell

Cog view #1

Cog view #2

Arm and axle view #1

Arm and axle #2

Internals 1

Internals 2

Internals 2.5: top piece taken out

Close up of "internals 2.5" with top piece removed

Top piece of "internals 2.5"

Internals 3

Triangular pieces that seem to fit nowhere

Broken bearing cage (I know where this goes)

Bolts

Everything put together the way I think it should be (I have no idea where the other triangular piece is supposed to go)

Everything put together the way I think it should be in a sort of "exploded" view

Bendix said:
In the world of 21st century bicycle shops I would not expect "wheel experts" to necessarily equate with "antique coaster brake hub experts", but that's just me....

As Wildcat suggested, post a pic or at least give us a clue as to brand- somebody here will find a link to a diagram or offer a hint. If it came outta there it'll go back in. :wink:

Haha, good point. But the guy didn't even try. He just kind of admitted defeat at first glance

like a previous poster said, looks like a musselman. they did private label hubs for some bike companies- sheldon brown's website has diagrams. you can check those also to see if it's identical.

http://sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes/musselman.html

check memory lane classics for parts- they just sold a cutomer of ours a clutch/driver ...'y. i'll be installing that tomorrow. :?

haha! the forum changed a contraction of "assembly" to "butt'y" !! :lol:

Thanks all so much for your help. I've managed to successfully assemble it aside from a few minor details. Will post pics of what I can't figure out in just a jiff!

Here is the link that cman generously shared with me: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/5857978640_e43802acdf_b.jpg

Now here is mine, assembled:
img4120pb.jpg

What I don't understand is how those caged bearing come into play. Mine do not fit like what is shown in the first pic, they are too small:
img4121e.jpg

They do, however, fit perfectly into the outside of the cog, like this:
mg4133v.jpg

I'm not sure if it is supposed to go balls facing up:
mg4131.jpg

Or balls facing down:
mg4129.jpg

The other problem i am having is when the wheel is fully assembled:
mg4116.jpg

The brake arm is supposed to be held still and attached to the frame, correct? But when I try holding the brake arm in place, the cog will not spin. When i let go of the brake arm, the cog spins freely in one direction and stops in the other, like it should. Any ideas?

Update: I managed to find some caged ball bearings from another CCM hub i took apart (that one was made in england, though). Anyways, they seem to fit pretty well like the bearings in the first pic. I am still having problems in regards to the spinning of the cog and it's relationship to the brake arm.

Yes..... I have good Google-fu.

Try holding the brake arm with your left hand, then spin the cog with your right. It should spin freely. While spinning, turn the cog backwards- stop.

cman said:
Yes..... I have good Google-fu.

Try holding the brake arm with your left hand, then spin the cog with your right. It should spin freely. While spinning, turn the cog backwards- stop.

No luck...Cog only spins a fraction then just doesn't spin anymore, then when I turn it the other way, it stops like it should :|

You are holding the wheel and tire up off the floor when you are turning the cog? When turning it forward, it should engage and turn the wheel.

Crassly said:
You are holding the wheel and tire up off the floor when you are turning the cog? When turning it forward, it should engage and turn the wheel.

Um, yes...of course I am...one would have to be a fool to be trying to turn the cog while the entire wheel is held firmly between ones legs.... :oops:

Balls facing down (away from inner race). You need another bearing set like the one on the brake arm side between the hub and the driver. (where you confused about fitting the small one) :|

I looked through the pics and didn't see the set of bearings that go on the inside of the cog. If you assembled all the parts and it still isn't working, and was before you took it apart, maybe one of the parts is reversed. The top piece on the internals (from your pic) that goes in the snap ring, is that identical on both sides?

Back