Coaster brake for front wheel?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Has anyone here ever attempted to use a rear coaster brake wheel on the front of their bike?

While I wait for parts, I have nothing but time to think up silly stuff and surf the net.
So I'm looking at front drum brake wheels, and I scan across your everyday coaster brake wheel; and the wheels start turning.

Picture this:
Brake cable attached to the end of a short chain; the chain wraps 180 degrees around the sprocket; the other end of the chain runs up into a length of tubing, flared at the end to facilitate smooth entry and exit of the links, and terminates at the end of a spring, which is kept under tension by being hooked at the other end of the tubing.

Anyone ever tried something like this? Can anyone imagine any problems attempting this? I imagine a small sprocket is essential to keeping the lever stroke manageable.

If I have time this weekend, I may try this as a proof of concept.

Has anyone here ever attempted to use a rear coaster brake wheel on the front of their bike?

While I wait for parts, I have nothing but time to think up silly stuff and surf the net.
So I'm looking at front drum brake wheels, and I scan across your everyday coaster brake wheel; and the wheels start turning.

Picture this:
Brake cable attached to the end of a short chain; the chain wraps 180 degrees around the sprocket; the other end of the chain runs up into a length of tubing, flared at the end to facilitate smooth entry and exit of the links, and terminates at the end of a spring, which is kept under tension by being hooked at the other end of the tubing.

Anyone ever tried something like this? Can anyone imagine any problems attempting this? I imagine a small sprocket is essential to keeping the lever stroke manageable.

If I have time this weekend, I may try this as a proof of concept.
Yes been and apparently was produced at one point on a bike factory according to @Duchess this is a topic we like.. right @Falstaff... We had. Thread called hand powered coaster... Lots of fun info there

9350e17f6738592a7e64642fc6946446.jpg

This is what you're trying to do, I assume?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Haha! yes!

I was thinking guidance for the chain when mentioning the tube. Awesome to see a much simpler means exists.

I searched via Google, and didn't come up with anything on the first couple pages. I PROMISE I tried.
Actually, I've made it a habit to do so when asking out of the box questions. Mainly out of fear of possible ridicule. Lol.

Haha! yes!

I was thinking guidance for the chain when mentioning the tube. Awesome to see a much simpler means exists.

I searched via Google, and didn't come up with anything on the first couple pages. I PROMISE I tried.
Actually, I've made it a habit to do so when asking out of the box questions. Mainly out of fear of possible ridicule. Lol.
Read the hand coaster thread... There no silly questions... There are ridiculous responses to be had but we enjoy a fun challenge... Ridicule is reserved for those who should have asked and didn't;)

As far as I'm concerned, custom bicycles are the perfect platform for being as ridiculous as you can think up. This is not a judgmental group holding things too precious. I mean, I built a bike where the rider looks like they're riding a giant pink rocket with the obvious phallic symbolism and didn't get attacked, so there you have it. Besides, you never know what great idea may spring from the inspiration provided by something ridiculous.

Haha! yes!

Man, I built a wagon wheeled trike for my first build here. I didn't get any ridicule for it, in fact I got positive comments from people I respect here. And believe me, it was a ridiculous build.

We don't ridicule, we may be curious as to how you might make something work. Or possibly how safe it is, but that's out of concern for life and limb of fellow RRBers.

Don't be afraid to ask anything here, and continue searching for answers on here and elsewhere. If you find an answer bring it to us.

You guys are awesome. The last time I found a group so accepting was in a laid back Paintball forum. Lots of machinists that made a living doing what others considered a hobby. Tons of knowledge, but rarely a notion of shooting down ideas by others outside the knowledge base. Like Falstaf said; if so, most times it was for the sake of safety. The rest could be chalked up to experience showing a better way, or the eminent dead end.

Good show, fellas!

We don't shoot em down cause our own may be next.

This is a fun group and forum... Good luck find me around serious purists... I can find out I bought a huffy for fun and it's OK...

Enjoy

Last edited:
I just got done reading that whole thread. Great read.

I do admit; between terminology I am nite up to snuff with and trying to watch the latest Ultimate Fighter fight, my mind us thoroughly stuffed.
Thank goodness for bookmarks!!! I have a lot to wrap my head around.

Now I am interested in the progress, Falstaf .

Just because I'm proud of my creation, I'll post a shot of mine. Similar setup to the bike Falstaff posted.

68b62767759bd544241e438b946f2b20.jpg

5837d3718507d2cfebe028ba0a51b658.jpg

Komet Super hub, couple of coaster brake arm clamps, generic extension spring, a big steel hook, ball peen hammer, electrical conduit.

Did you have to perform the welding done in that one thread "coaster brake to drum"?

If it is an imperative, I have to seek me out a welder.

Btw, you have to show pics of the rest of that ball peen hammer setup. That's too much of a tease right there!

Btw, you have to show pics of the rest of that ball peen hammer setup. That's too much of a tease right there!
Haha it's fun to find members who interest you. Can select there avitar then stalk postings, after the end of the list of recent there is an option o search all threads started by that member. This is how I like navigate older builds. He has a build thread on it, he did some trial and error to get it done so it's great to review

Haha it's fun to find members who interest you. Can select there avitar then stalk postings, after the end of the list of recent there is an option o search all threads started by that member. This is how I like navigate older builds. He has a build thread on it, he did some trial and error to get it done so it's great to review
Ha, so you are stalking me.... the truth comes out.o_O

Back