Coaster Brake Arm Mount

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well I know where to attach the arm (that bracket) but I need something else to keep the arm from sliding. Maybe another set of eyes can offer a simple solution.
hypebyna.jpg

Last edited:
If the arm won't reach the bracket, you can attach it to the seat stay. there's no need to keep the arm horizontal. As long as it's attached securely, it will work. If there's a gap between the arm and frame, but it reaches it, use a spacer or several washers to make up the difference.

I have used a short piece of 3/8" x 1/8" flat steel with 2 holes drilled at the ends when I needed an extension .......dry fitting the parts before I welded the loop on would have been a better solution for me though :blush:

If it doesn't reach, can you slot the bracket further?
Obviously the real solution is moving the back wheel forward, shorten the chain, gearing, or mickey mouse tensioner....

1 inch by 1/8 flat stock, with three holes in line will do the trick.....one for the arm, and two for nuts and bolts to attach it to the slotted bracket already in the frame.Space them as far apart as you can with one at each end of the slot. Round the ends of the flat stock to make it look prettier.Mount it either inboard or outboard of the present frame bracket, whichever lines up better.

Whatcha mean? Tighten everything down good and the arm won't budge.

I wouldn't count on that. I have forgotten to secure the brake arm before, and had a wheel tightened down very well, then when brakes are applied the brake arm swings around until it jams against the seat stay.

Glad you were able to secure the brake arm.

I wouldn't count on that. I have forgotten to secure the brake arm before, and had a wheel tightened down very well, then when brakes are applied the brake arm swings around until it jams against the seat stay.

That's why I said tighten everything down good. I hadn't realized there was a gap between the slot and the brake arm; I thought the OP was worried about the brake arm moving fore and aft in the slot. Of course you need to secure the brake arm; otherwise, as you described, the arm will swing around til it hits the frame, plus this will tighten down the cones in the hub and lock it up.

Spacing out the bolt for the arm, as shown a few posts back, will work fine. I'm guessing you're running a 110mm hub in a wider dropout...

Latest posts

Back