Clear Coat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
First off it this is posted somewhere else please just post the link and lock the thread.

I am fixing to paint a bicycle (nothing special just and aftermarket frame). I am planing on painting and then clearing over it. My question: Do I let the base coat fully dry before painting the clear, or give it just the flash time after the last coat.

I have never painted with clear myself, but a buddy of mine did a truck once and after the base coat, he just let it flash and then when right over with clear, it came out really good, but that was with automotive paint, this will be with rustolum rattle can.

Thanks for the input.

I've done it two ways. Letting the color paint flash then spraying clear. And/or letting the color paint cure then scuffing the color and then clearing it. I've had success and failures with both methods. The key is to spend the extra time in preparation. On both methods I was using Testors brand model car spray can paints on model cars & bikes.

With enamel, le it fully cure. Give it more than the projected time if possible. I have cleared over ename that has had several weeks to cure and still had it lift. Then again I have cleared sooner and had it go both ways. Keep an eye on the humidity. I think that has a lot to do with it. I have had humidity cause otherwise perfect laquers to dry to a flat and scaley finish because of humidity or lack thereof. Everything has to be just right.

Yeah, trust me, from painting my to VW's I know prep is the most important thing. I was just checking the others. I will probably try the fork or some other easily sanded part with the clear right after the last base cost flashes. Wait a day or 2 and see how is come out. worst case is that I have to sand and repaint.

Is the HOK clear super glossy? Does anyone make a real glossy clear coat in a rattlecan? Is VHT any good? Does anyone make a clear epoxy?

Sorry for jacking the thread......

Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

I looked on line and a lot of sites say you can't spray lacquer over enamel. Well i do, BUT it takes time. I only use rustolum rattle can enamel for the color. I wait up to a week to let dry/cure, Then mist it with the High gloss clear, wait a few days then light coat, wait a few days the very good coat, wait a few days the heavy coat. Done, let dry for a 5 days to a week. I have had really good results. If I rush it I get wrinkles. If i use enamel clear I don't think its that clear. To me it looks milky..well thats what I do in my lab. :shock: :idea: :arrow: :arrow:

Back